Massive incoming grain and food shortages

The CRP program has a much diminished impact on total food production than it did 20 and 30 years ago. Additionally the criteria for enrolling land into CRP are much different and more stringent from an environmental and conservation perspective. So yes we have less farmland in production because of CRP but the impact is not huge.

A bigger impact is urban sprawl, that takes more prime farmland out of production than the CRP program.
I looked at doing CRP as well, because I have a lot of land I'm not using - but it would have cost me more to enroll it in CRP than the program would have paid for me to keep it there... Payments were less than $60/acre (mostly under $37/acre), and they wanted me to do a bunch of underbrushing as part of the program - by fire, they recommended. I can't do a 25 acre controlled burn for under $2,500 - the program would pay me $925 or so. My "crop", arguably, is virgin timber. and my lands are marginal and subject to erosion - I'm at the top of one of the few "hills" in FL.

I'm sure there's a trick to maximizing program payments, but I don't know what it is.

Now, if you happen to be one of the biggest private landowners in the US (Bill Gates), CRP does pay a significant chunk for you to leave your land fallow. But he could make more farming it, if that was his desire (assuming he did it well, of course).

Last edited:
The CRP program has a much diminished impact on total food production than it did 20 and 30 years ago. Additionally the criteria for enrolling land into CRP are much different and more stringent from an environmental and conservation perspective. So yes we have less farmland in production because of CRP but the impact is not huge.

A bigger impact is urban sprawl, that takes more prime farmland out of production than the CRP program.
I agree. For the most part. It hasn’t been an issue up until now. And has likely done some good. I just meant that in conjunction with the other factors like war, and drought in the worlds grain baskets right now, it has contributed to a perfect storm of sorts, that is going to lead to food shortages.

I'm not surprised to hear about the issues with Purina. Their dog and cat food is crap as well. My vet(s) have warned me for years that "grocery store brand" pet foods are sub-quality, so it makes sense their livestock feeds
Purina Chicken feed & Purina Dog Food are manufactured by two totally different companies. Chicken feed is Land O Lakes & the dog food is Nestle(?). They haven't been the same companies in years.

The local Chipotle was out of rice today. :th

I netsearched rice shortage and saw lots of recent warnings and predictions but could not tell if this was from an actual rice shortage. It may be a management mistake or a distribution glitch.

I expect more distribution glitches because of how much of China is in lockdown - among other reasons. Even when a food doesn't have a shortage and isn't processed in China, the bags and boxes And tubs are often made there.

Purina Chicken feed & Purina Dog Food are manufactured by two totally different companies. Chicken feed is Land O Lakes & the dog food is Nestle(?). They haven't been the same companies in years.
Land O Lakes owns Nestle. Nestle owns Purina Mills. But not, apparently, Purina Pet Care...

Sorry, scratch that. Land O Lakes owns Netle Purina Mills, but not Nestle Purina PetCare. And Nestle itself sold off its candy business to someone else.

So technically, all the same company, though manufacturing operations tend to keep the name of the original owner of the facility.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised to hear about the issues with Purina. Their dog and cat food is crap as well. My vet(s) have warned me for years that "grocery store brand" pet foods are sub-quality, so it makes sense their livestock feeds would also be crap.
In the US Nestle Purina pet foods is not the same company as LOL Purina livestock feeds.
Land O Lakes owns Nestle. Nestle owns Purina Mills. But not, apparently, Purina Pet Care...

Sorry, scratch that. Land O Lakes owns Netle Purina Mills, but not Nestle Purina PetCare. And Nestle itself sold off its candy business to someone else.

So technically, all the same company, though manufacturing operations tend to keep the name of the original owner of the facility.
I don't believe Nestle has ever been part of the Purina Livestock feeds.
Outside of the US, Cargill has the license to use the Purina Checkerboard logo.

So I got confused on Nestle, LOL I just know they are separate companies.

In the US Nestle Purina pet foods is not the same company as LOL Purina livestock feeds.

I don't believe Nestle has ever been part of the Purina Livestock feeds.
Outside of the US, Cargill has the license to use the Purina Checkerboard logo.
The Animal Feed business (as opposed to the Pet feed business) was sold off in 1986, according to Purina's website. Nestle bought the Pet Food business in 2001 by acquiring what was left of Ralston Purina. This article describes it as Land O Lakes buying Purina Mills, same year.

So, thoroughly confused. But I believe you are right - the animal feed business was gone before Nestle arrived, and Land O Lakes dropped in about the same time to snap up another portion of the old Ralston Mills business. And now, Nestle and Land o Lakes are partnered in places and engaged in close collaborations which makes internet searches more difficult still.

So, take my comments above with large grains of salt. I'm late to this party, and trying to learn history via the web - never my first choice.

Back
Top Bottom