Massive infestation

Never thought of it that way but you guys make a great point. I don't think they notice them because they are so small. I think the only reason I notice them is cause there is so many

If they are not causing any harm to you or your chickens just let them be, the population explosion will balance out in time.

DE will just further unbalance the ecosystem that is in all of our yards. IMO trying to kill all living bugs is unnecessary and just allows a few species to proliferate.

That's why it's good to figure out exactly what they are and if they are something that definitely needs to be controlled.

DE is not effected by water , it is equally ineffective wet or dry.  

DE, I think, is a great preventative but it doesn't seem to be a very effective treatment for active infestations. It works great for my broodies, who are usually my only mite issues, and I don't want to Sevin dust their nests and eggs. I wouldn't say its ineffective....unless it gets wet ;)
The directions on the packaging say to keep it dry and apply it in a dry place. I like DE, but I don't believe it to be the miracle cure all lots of other folks make it out to be!

Hello, I'm Monica and have raised chickens all my life. My favorite poultry pest products are Scalex spray for birds. Sevin dust for garden (my vet said its the same fomula that used to be marketed for use on chickens. They sell Sevin at Walmart, very messy tho. I like to wash the very infested birds in a flea shampoo for cats ( not Hartz, dangerous). Then before i blow dry them i spray them with Scalex. But the yard and coop must be cleaned or they will reinfest. We use Diatomaceous Earth ( food grade). In the yard. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom