Massive storm - how to keep birds safe

LJ33

Songster
7 Years
Jul 7, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Iowa Illinois or Wisconsin and I believe Missouri, have an intense storm happening now, getting upwards of 100mph winds.

I have 6 chickens, and they are under the coop currently. The storm is just now getting to us. I almost want to bring them inside. we will most likely lose some fencing, downed trees. . I saw pics out of iowa and omg its so bad.

Anyone have experience with this or is anyone in Iowa who went through the storm? Hope I put this thread in the right place.

LJ.

You could put them in your garage if you have one.
we do and I thought about that. Thankfully the storm wasn't bad at my house, we were on the cusp and the bad parts circled around us. Crazy, but we are in a river valley, so the wind went over the top. It hit much worse in the plains areas.

The girls stayed under the coop for the most part, but half of them spent a chunk of time having the time of their lives getting soaking wet...and muddy. silly birds

Hope you're all safe! I got a large dog crate just before CT got hit with a bad storm last week. I put my hens in the carport, then moved to the garage when it got really bad.
Great idea! I can't believe we didn't get it worse. A few small branches down, but areas all around us got hit hard The wind was 73 mph just 5 miles from us.

I made so pens caught less wind and moved broody hens with chicks into garage. Worst over. Chickens got very wet, but are already getting feathers back into shape. I am about to release the broody hens with chicks so everyone can forage.
as I mentioned in my other replies, I am shocked we didn't get it worse. My Cali whites are a muddy mess now lol

we do and I thought about that. Thankfully the storm wasn't bad at my house, we were on the cusp and the bad parts circled around us. Crazy, but we are in a river valley, so the wind went over the top. It hit much worse in the plains areas.

The girls stayed under the coop for the most part, but half of them spent a chunk of time having the time of their lives getting soaking wet...and muddy. silly birds
Haha your birds are funny! That’s good though that it wasn’t that bad.

I was in the path of the storm this afternoon, and the birds were hiding out under the house, so I just left them there. Very little damage here, and the chooks were just fine, barely wet !

In Georgia we got hit with really strong rain/thunder at about 4:00. Worst storm in many months.

Both runs have a 4' high outdoor covered "patio" area with roosts next to the hen house and they were all under the cover of the roof watching the storm rage.

P1040289.JPG

Back
Top Bottom