Massively swollen breast-Emergency

raisedbywolves

Hatching
8 Years
May 16, 2011
So I've got a golden comet chick (4-5 weeks old), her breasts are so swollen that she cannot get up. She's been eating chick starter from the feed store. I noticed two days ago, but after reading posts just thought her crop was swollen so I let it go. But now it is worse and she hasn't gotten up at all today. Her breasts are very puffy, maybe fluid filled.

She is separated now, but I'm worried about her already passing something on to my other chicks.
thanks for any advice

Last edited:
this morning she was a least standing (which she didn't do at all yesterday), but still very lethargic and extremely swollen. Her poop is firm and black.

I wish I knew! try searching it in the search box on this website... I have a chicken with ascites from what I have read on here! I have got to drain her today so send prayers for you becasue I know how you feel!
hu.gif

I wish I knew what to tell you. I have a 4 week old chick this Am whose breast was super swollen. I picked her up and the pressure of that pushed water out her beak and it smelled like strawberries! (They had strawberries for a treat the last 2 days). I gently squeezed as much of the water out as I could (it was lot!). then I massaged her cop and fed her some olive oil. But I don't know if it's the same thing as your chick and I don't know even if it will work with mine! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom