Match me a breed.

Pics
The reason you get conflicting information is that different lines within the same breed can be DRAMATICALLY different. For example, Leghorns are "known" to be a very flighty, scrawy, thrifty breed but my standardbred brown leghorns are heavy, big eaters, and are NOT flighty.

Based on your list, though, I'd say look for a good breeder line of Wyandottes. The laced varieties are among the most beautiful patterns out there, and with their rose combs and heavy bodies, they are a popular choice for northern climes for good reason. Interview breeders carefully to be sure THEIR specific birds meet your needs, though!

Thank you. I have started trying to find breeders of Australorps and Wyandottes in my general area and not having a lot of luck yet. (Not giving up yet though!) I did find a breeder with Barnevelders that is fairly close to me. {They have also been on my "list"} She said her girls do go broody once or twice a year. (Which is plenty for me.) And if nothing else, they are beautiful nad easy to get along with. I'm just looking to get a few girls to enjoy. Not all of them HAVE to want to be broody. Becaue that might be a nightmare. LOL

Have you checked out Greenfire Farms? They have some gorgeous and interesting breeds, many of which meet your standards. I have personally never ordered from them though. https://greenfirefarms.com/cold_hardy.html

I have seen several folks suggest a Welsummer, I love my Welsummer and she was actually hand raised, but even with all the extra love, she is an extremely flighty bird. Not for "pet" chickens, but her eggs are beautiful.

My personal recommendation is an Ameraucana. They check off everything on your list, and have more protentional for any easy market (in my opinion) if you wanted to sell chicks. Mine has been the BEST mom. Went broody four times last year, broke her twice and let her hatch twice. She has been laying all winter, undoubtable due to her numerous broody breaks.

View attachment 2467567View attachment 2467568View attachment 2467569
WOW! Love her!

You're an AMAZING photographer, Odd!
I made two edited versions of your profile pic:
E2EA3500-BF56-420C-A776-CDA45F535977.jpeg
454B41D9-974A-4706-9440-F543BED00CCB.jpeg

Original version
20F902A0-8CCF-452D-A543-8C07D4A8ADAC.jpeg

No. I don't want feathery legs. (And don't want to mess with trying to find clean legged birds of a breed that is "supposed" to have feathered legs.)
If you did want to go Maran, try the non- French Cuckoo Marans. They're clean-legged.

I do like the barnevelders also- so pretty, mine haven't been very broody but good layers of nice brown legs. Only thing I would say is that they are single combs so may be an issue with frostbite (I'm in Australia- no worries about that here!).

Back
Top Bottom