Material for Run Floor

Ashb0429

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
It’s time for me to do some maintenance on the run floor. It’s been a wet summer here in South Florida and I’d like to do a refresh on the muck that has become the coop floor. I saw on a Carolina Coops video that they use a composted mulch like material but every thing I can find is chemically treated. Any ideas? Links to natural product appreciated!!

If really wet use white shavings .. can buy them in bales at a feed store
Really wet climate here use the deep litter method at last 4 inches deep take you through the storms to spring keep turning it in the coop scoop bad outside ad another bale

It’s time for me to do some maintenance on the run floor. It’s been a wet summer here in South Florida and I’d like to do a refresh on the muck that has become the coop floor. I saw on a Carolina Coops video that they use a composted mulch like material but every thing I can find is chemically treated. Any ideas? Links to natural product appreciated!!
Contact local tree trimmers for a delivery of wood chippings.
Best if you have space to store a large load out of the way.

I have natural, washed, coarse grain river sand in my whole set up. It’s easy to clean, the girls love to dustbathe, no need for grit, and it’s $90 for fourteen tons from the local quarry. Double-plus goodness!
1671FB04-47B7-4B7E-BD86-BB8C3413D34A.jpeg

0BDEDA38-2FFB-4445-9717-A300A29FC67C.jpeg

C4EB95D2-8E7A-4A08-9CB4-1DD361D4B10B.jpeg

Fall is a great time to collect dry organic material.

I like a mix of different materials and textures and had great luck with a deep litter system of shavings, pine straw, straw, fall leaves, and random other things when I had my in-town coop.

I've got a truckload of wood chips aging in an out-of-the-way corner right now and am going to have some tree work and stump grinding done so there will be more in a couple weeks.

Can be.......if leaves fall and it stays dry long enough.
Had great luck with that a few years ago and stored a bunch...
....not since tho.

Same here. Florida is always very humid even when it’s not raining. It will be a few months before things dry up and I’m not wanting to wait that long.

I’m in central Florida so feel your pain! I have my own wood chipper and a decent amount of pepperwood, camphor and laurel oaks on my property so I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to make my own, but it’s mulch mixed with a garden fork in the soil and then layered with dry on top every now and then in the run (10’x24’ run) I also have a deep litter floor in the coop made of pine flake and chopped straw mix and when I clean the dirty stuff out I also throw them into the run and mix into the dirt. This has made a really nice composting run that drains pretty nice and really makes for nice earthworm crops!
Just be careful with too much pine...it has some anti-microbial properties and will slow down the composting a bit.
Takes time but has worked well for me in this really wet rainy season that we’ve had this year.

Back
Top Bottom