Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
her stump would need to be completely intact and clean/dry so as not to create a moisture problem/bacterial growth issues.
What do you mean by her stump would need to be cmpletely intact? Do you mean the bumble needs to be fully healed,? There is still a flesh-covered bony part extending out from her left shank. I have wondered about using a silicone gauge tunnel (the young-uns likely know what a gauge is) to slip over the bony end. But decided it wouldn't help much as far as extra padding and support. Your ideas are much more detailed, and I appreciate them!

What about those bunion pads? The bunion pads have the center cut out or you can buy small but full sheets of the cloth cushiony material with a sticky side. Of course this stuff picks up everything, so youd need something else to keep debris from sticking to it but it's got a bit of coushin. My apologies if this has already been covered. Just wanted to throw this idea out there. I've been through a lot of wrapping materials trying to find what works best for a duck foot.

Speaking of silicone, it reminded me of the noise ear plugs I recently got from Walmart. This material might be just the thing for Matilda's stumps. They're soft, moldable, and they are sticky. The stay where they are stuck.

They are the most effective ear plugs I've ever used, making a perfect seal, and they stay. I even shaved two small pieces off one plug and used them for the nose pieces on my glasses so they won't slip down my nose. They're like soft wax, you can mold it into any shape.

Thank you very much for the info. I live in the country and have a weak to zero cell phone signal there, so my time to ressearch issues on the internet is limited, and I really appreciate the leads.
If you can get ahold of a silicone molding kit, I would use something slightly larger in diameter than her leg, line it with plastic wrap, coat with a release agent (if provided), mix the ingredients, then submerge her stump into it. Something like a toilet paper roll cut down to a manageable size for the length of her stump, or some other type of cylindrical container or mold. The silicone might also need to be split down one side after curing to facilitate cleaning the "sleeve" and also being able to get it onto her stump, over the spur and high enough up her leg that it would be of actual benefit. I'm almost positive that this will be a trial and error type of process, and may not work. But at least it's one type of option.

What do you mean by her stump would need to be cmpletely intact? Do you mean the bumble needs to be fully healed,? There is still a flesh-covered bony part extending out from her left shank. I have wondered about using a silicone gauge tunnel (the young-uns likely know what a gauge is) to slip over the bony end. But decided it wouldn't help much as far as extra padding and support. Your ideas are much more detailed, and I appreciate them!
Yes, the skin would need to be intact, with no blisters, lesions or ulceration present in order for the silicone idea to work. The silicone will not breathe, therefore would hold moisture and any bacteria present on her skin would cause an infection if there is broken skin.

Last edited:
What about those bunion pads? The bunion pads have the center cut out or you can buy small but full sheets of the cloth cushiony material with a sticky side. Of course this stuff picks up everything, so youd need something else to keep debris from sticking to it but it's got a bit of coushin.
I will still need to wrap any padding with vet wrap to hold it in place, so it doesn't matter if it "picks up everything." Thank you very much for that suggestion!

If you can get ahold of a silicone molding kit, I would use something slightly larger in diameter than her leg, line it with plastic wrap, coat with a release agent (if provided), mix the ingredients, then submerge her stump into it. Something like a toilet paper roll cut down to a manageable size for the length of her stump, or some other type of cylindrical container or mold. The silicone might also need to be split down one side after curing to facilitate cleaning the "sleeve" and also being able to get it onto her stump, over the spur and high enough up her leg that it would be of actual benefit. I'm almost positive that this will be a trial and error type of process, and may not work. But at least it's one type of option.
Shouldnt be too difficult to locate a silicone molding kit, and i am very curious about this option. I will look into it tomorrow!

Yes, the skin would need to be intact, with no blisters, lesions or ulceration present in order for the silicone idea to work. The silicone will not breath, therefore would hold moisture and any bacteria present on her skin would cause an infection if there is broken skin.
I am also no expert by any means. I work in healthcare and have just seen some of the challenges presented by amputations and prosthetics. I really hope that between all of the suggestions that have been proposed to you, that at least one of them works for Matilda. I won't be at all offended if my suggestion isn't feasible or practical. It is a lot of work and is a huge time investment.

Back
Top Bottom