Mating a peach female quail?

Claire A

Songster
Oct 2, 2019
I have this beautiful peach female. No idea which breeding pen she came from - I tend to put eggs from all the pens in the incubator at the same time. She is currently with a Rossetta male.
Would you recommend breeding to a wild male to get more peach colours? If I can breed more - is it okay to breed peach to peach? Pics below - you can see why I want more of this colour :D

20200812_181958.jpg
20200812_182005.jpg
20200812_182107.jpg

I think that your quail has German pastel lineage, but I don’t know that much about silver and pastel lines so I could be way off.

You would want to see if anyone knows if that color is dominant or recessive, and choose the mate accordingly.

My guess, if you mate it to a pharaoh, you will get many pharaohs of differing hues. The lacing you’re bird has is not very pronounced, if you cross in a pharaoh I would think even if the color of some offspring was similar to your bird, it will have stronger wild markings like a super light Egyptian.

My pharaohs have “contaminated” some more solid genes in weird ways and it seems to show up oddly sometimes. For example I have a Rosetta color male with wild markings. I recently bred a solid scarlet roo to 3 Tibetan tux hens and received no Tibetans, 2 pharaoh tuxes, 2 Egyptian (tux and regular), 2 scarlet tuxes, and 5 varying rosettas I think.

Imo your best bet might be to breed that hen to one male, hatch them, breed it to another, hatch them, and then breed the offspring together. This will give you a more diverse base to breed this

I am not familiar with quail genetics, but that is a beautiful bird! :)

She is an anomaly - she must have come from one of my whites - narrows it down a bit. But have bred from them many times and she is the first.

Had it been a male - I would have just put 5 different colour females with them and see what happens.

Could be a case of trial and error - she is young :)

I think that your quail has German pastel lineage, but I don’t know that much about silver and pastel lines so I could be way off.

You would want to see if anyone knows if that color is dominant or recessive, and choose the mate accordingly.

My guess, if you mate it to a pharaoh, you will get many pharaohs of differing hues. The lacing you’re bird has is not very pronounced, if you cross in a pharaoh I would think even if the color of some offspring was similar to your bird, it will have stronger wild markings like a super light Egyptian.

My pharaohs have “contaminated” some more solid genes in weird ways and it seems to show up oddly sometimes. For example I have a Rosetta color male with wild markings. I recently bred a solid scarlet roo to 3 Tibetan tux hens and received no Tibetans, 2 pharaoh tuxes, 2 Egyptian (tux and regular), 2 scarlet tuxes, and 5 varying rosettas I think.

Imo your best bet might be to breed that hen to one male, hatch them, breed it to another, hatch them, and then breed the offspring together. This will give you a more diverse base to breed this

Thanks, FloorCandy :)

Yes, I think you are correct. I will try the rosetta she is with for the next hatch - then maybe a nice solid silver and so on. I do have some like this : So time to experiment maybe :D
20200610_185935.jpg
20200610_191000.jpg

Thanks, FloorCandy :)

Yes, I think you are correct. I will try the rosetta she is with for the next hatch - then maybe a nice solid silver and so on. I do have some like this : So time to experiment maybe :D
View attachment 2287417View attachment 2287418
You can try breeding this one with a Rosetta, and see if you get this color with no wild markings, maybe breed the offspring to the offspring of the solid peach and hope for the best.

You can try breeding this one with a Rosetta, and see if you get this color with no wild markings, maybe breed the offspring to the offspring of the solid peach and hope for the best.

Just gone over my notes - I am 99% certain I have identified the varying lines which created her :) If I am correct then I should be able to produce some unrelated Peach birds. Then it is a question of if it breeds true. I expect I will know early next year :)

Just gone over my notes - I am 99% certain I have identified the varying lines which created her :) If I am correct then I should be able to produce some unrelated Peach birds. Then it is a question of if it breeds true. I expect I will know early next year :)
Good luck!

Good luck!

Yes will need it - she is actually a mix of several different colour combinations. My quail hobby extended to breeding different colours to see what I get.

Still hoping I will just get more by breeding her to a particular colour lol

Back
Top Bottom