Mating age for WMs???

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Damummis, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I have 4 WMs that are acting like total teenagers. The 3 boys are beating the snot out of each other all for the attention of the lone hen. And SHE is just as much a tweenager as the boys. All she is interested in is her nails whenever they are around. I am getting a kick watching the whole thing in action.

I am bigger than you
    No your not
    Well I can kick you butt
    No you can't
    She likes me
    No she doesn't.

OOoo I think I chipped a nail, hummm now what. EEwww boys. (she hasn't figured out that she is suppose to like them yet)

The are not getting hurt, just sparring.

Who picks who and at what age? When will she start to lay eggs? When will they be adult turkeys?? They are 15 weeks old now.

2. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Dumb teenagers don't make good breeders. They spend more time fighting then doing what they should. I never count on my first year toms. The second year they seem to grow up and do what they should.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sounds like you have two toms headed for the oven.

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Last night my 11 and 13 week-old turkeys were trying to mate with a chicken who had squatted when I reached out to pet her. Poor thing was traumatized by the experience. The funny thing was, it looked like at least one of the female turkeys was participating in the wild ruckus. Stupid hormones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by