eliz_anne

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
Hi everyone!
This is my first go at ducks and having duck eggs. Last week, one of my female mallards flew away for a few days but has since returned. Upon her return, the male ducks began mating with her. Something that has not happened before. Today i went out to do my daily cleaning of their duck house and came across an egg! Is there any advice on what I should do next? Do they need anything special to make a nest, should I use different food? Also, should I leave the egg there or take it out? Any bit of information would be extremely helpful! : )

hi, i would not let them hatch any babies. please wait until they are around one year old to avoid all the issues the ducklings could have if hatched out now.

If you are wanting to hatch the eggs, you can’t make her go broody. If she does go broody, you leave her to sit on the eggs and make sure she gets plenty of food and water. There isn’t any other kind of food that she will need.

I am not looking to have more ducks at this point. If anything, my family will be eating the eggs. The ducks are around 5 months old. I thought maybe there would be more time before laying eggs. I was caught completely off guard.

This is the egg I saw this morning. Would this be a mallard egg?

Attachments

• FC40EC25-98F8-4EDA-8A8A-3DBB4878B566.jpeg
    FC40EC25-98F8-4EDA-8A8A-3DBB4878B566.jpeg
    743.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom