Mating/nesting mallards

Swalla

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
Hello! I’m hoping someone can help me. I have 10 females mallards that were born the first of February. I have 3 male mallards that are 2 years old. I recently let 5 females out to be with the males. The males instantly tried breeding but the females somewhat would attack the males. The males got skittish & stayed away for about a week. So now, I have pinned them all up together. They all seem happy but they aren’t breeding yet. Does it take them some time to adjust? I’ve watched 1 female chase/charge at one of the males with her head low/strait out. I’m not sure what that is a sign of. Should I give them more time to get acquainted & hopefully they start breeding soon?

Your hens are still quite young. As they mature they will become receptive to the drakes.
Thank you. I was thinking the hens were still a little young for breeding. I’ll leave them together & hopefully I will have eggs by July!

Thank you. I was thinking the hens were still a little young for breeding. I’ll leave them together & hopefully I will have eggs by July!
the head down running at the drake is the female running him off. Quite normal behavior!!

The ducks will start laying at around 16 weeks old irrespective of whether there is a drake on the scene. When they are mature, the ducks will indicate their willingness to be mounted to the drake, but drakes also force themselves on ducks. Watch out to make sure that all three of your drakes don't "favor" the same duck

the head down running at the drake is the female running him off. Quite normal behavior!!

The ducks will start laying at around 16 weeks old irrespective of whether there is a drake on the scene. When they are mature, the ducks will indicate their willingness to be mounted to the drake, but drakes also force themselves on ducks. Watch out to make sure that all three of your drakes don't "favor" the same duck
Great advise! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom