mating pair of b-red turkeys value

pigfarmer

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
Central Maine
I was wondering what the value is on a pair of Bourbon Red turkeys, tom and hen (for mating, and to sell eggs/poults).
Keeping in mind I paid $10ea as poults, and fed them since July.
I have a friend looking to buy them from me. I have 4 hens and 6 toms. He wants to do what I plan on.

Thanx in advance, Brian

Depends on quality. Are they SOP? If so, at least $100 per trio. If they are hatchery run quality, maybe $50 a trio.

last fall a friend of ours sold some BR eggs at auction: 4 hatching egsg for $150. However, she has been undefeated in the shows with Bourbon Reds.

If I was looking for BR breeders and they were SOP quality, I would be willing to pay up to $250 a trio.

Last edited:
SOP?
could you explain it for me?
I got some of the BR's from a hatchery and some from a, fairly local, farm. The turkey poults were within a week (age) of each other.

He would be buying a pair, not 3.

Thanx

SOP= The American Standard of Perfection and is available at http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm

I
would say, since hatchery quality, about $40-50 a pair would be fair.

You should consider showing some of yours at your State Fair or any area poultry show. Allow a poultry judge to see what their quality are. You are also welcome to join the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers. A link is below to our website.

There are very few around here in Maine that have BR's.
I am in central Maine... North of Portland and south of Augusta.

The nearest place to me was/is New Hampshire, about a 3hr drive 1 way

Just noticed that you are in Maine. Scrap what I said. Ask for at least $150 a pair. Turkeys of any quality are hard to get in New England, per several friends up there.

And PLEASE show them at the fairs!

It will draw more interest when folks see a real live turkey!

Back
Top Bottom