Mating-Season in Australia

Greedy attended all day except for a half an hour to eat. Felicity is still away.

I am going to close the thread here. Tasks are piled high. I'll tell you when the last chick is out and about.

Thank you for your company and knowledge. I fervently wish that I were well enough to have done much more work on this project. I have learned a great deal, and my general observation skills have improved greatly.
I’ve been feeding and watching the emus in the clearing here for over four years, and have learned a lot . . . but in a rather sloppy way. That doesn’t concern me because I’ve been ill the whole time.

Having found a handful of people who delight in the antics of these ‘accidental pets’ of mine has made sharing a joy, and I have equally enjoyed hearing about your birds.

The Closing Questions
Here are The Questions, and if I am here on the first day of Spring next year, I shall post a single concise report for you:

will Felicity Emu mate next year? Why would an apparently healthy bird remain a spinster? Did Eric sit this season? Will Greedy regain her alpha status?

I would like to thank the cast of the ‘Mating-Season in Australia’ thread:

Aisle Five
Aisle Seven
Boy Emu
Boy Emu’s chicks
Brumbies at Stinky Creek
Dark Emu
Felicity
Foxtrot Charlie
Funny Patches
Gorgeous Sandy-Coloured Chick at Stinky Creek
Greedy Emu
kangaroos
kookaburras
Maybe Foxtrot
Mohawk
Mr and Mrs. Eric the Emu
Muirs Corellas
The North-East Female
Other Boy Emu
Orphan Emu
Peter Parent Emu
Peter Parent Emu’s chicks
Ring-In
Ring-Necked Parrots
The South-West Female
The Twins
Unknown Male (Ring-In’s dad)

The End

You know best.
hugs.gif

This has been a great adventure, for many of us.
Take care of yourself. Please keep in touch.

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us, we have really enjoyed it. I hope your health improves and your surgery goes well, so you can lead many more adventures....... Please pop in and let us know how you are doing. Best Wishes and speedy recovery

I know this thread is now finished but Mark just refered me to it and since Hurricane Sandy has my work closed I spent the afternoon reading all 276 post.

Mark refered me to it and I am very glad he did.

Fascinating reading.

Mark you never did give the final B.E. chick count?

Kerry

No, K.B.

We last saw him choofing off into the sunset with the clutch. He may or may not visit. There were eight eggs, but the possibility of a clutch of nine because we added Ring In the chick. Six eggs hatched – which, with Ring In, could have made a clutch of seven; but he left with five, so two chicks were taken before the hatching finished. '

It would be fascinating to have a graph of the attrition of the chicks. It’s just gotta be that mortality falls rapidly after just a month or six weeks.

S.E.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom