Mating-Season in Australia

Emus everywhere this morning. Greedy and Boy Emu chased some interlopers off, and followed them into the bush. I spent some time about a half a mile from the farmhouse, crawling about on my hands and knees, trying to observe the wild birds that I could hear gluk-gluk-glukking just out of sight in front of me. It’s so frustrating: sliver-views of a wild female glukking her way happpily across a sun-lit clearing.

First Observed Mating: the male walks closely behind the female. The female raises her tail until her rear end juts strangely up. It looks a bit like the last segment of a chocolate bar broken while inside the still-unopened wrapper. She then sinks to her knees. The male kneels behind her; then, sharply upright, he shuffles forward to copulate. The shuffling forward, although it lasts only seconds, lasts longer than the copulation itself, during which the male leans forward, and tugs once hard at the neck of the female. The male then lights a cigarette with his zippo. (The ciggies and lighter are kept in the pendulous pouch, and that’s why emus mate in winter – we have a total fire-ban in summer.) The female hurries off to get her brekky wheat.

This is only the second mating I have observed. (Eric and Mrs. Eric mated before the season started, before they ‘swaped places’ here with Greedy and Boy Emu.) The twins have been about the house-clearing, grazing unmolested.

Supreme Emu

Last edited:
The report is: nothing to report. Greedy and B.E. are still homebodies. No mating observed. No sightings of wild birds for days. I note that G. and B.E. went swimming a few days ago! Must be the lice. Winter rains are a-happenin’ right now.

Supreme Emu

Greedy and Boy Emu disappeared for a day, and I think – further observation necessary – that they choofed off with some passing emus. It’s the second time I’ve noticed this: passing emus ‘talk’ with Greedy and B.E., who then disappear.

Greedy has begun a little booming and walking sideways.

The twins and another emu have been grazing happily in the house-clearing.

Supreme Emu

Fine winter’s day here.

The first photo is of a part of the farmhouse-clearing. The next photo is the adjoining electricity ‘right-of-way.’ You can see three wild birds moseying away. They grazed quietly here all day with Greedy and B.E.

The next two photos are of Supreme Emu and Greedy playing Gobble That Prune. In the first photo, the Foolish Life-Form is kneeling with a prune held between his lips. In the second photo, you can see the prune heading south as Greedy tosses it down her throat. Greedy is the only bird you’d play this game with. Felicity is tamer in many ways, but she lacks Greedy’s accuracy at Gobble That Prune, and you could lose a chunk of skin. (Guess how I learned that!)

Supreme Emu

Back
Top Bottom