Mating Season Question

iturnknobs

Chirping
Dec 8, 2020
My goose and gander were hatched June 2020 and did not display mating behavior until Feb 2021 which continued through middle June 2021. I just caught them in their pool "doing the deed". My concern is that the male did a good(bad) job of pulling most of her neck feathers out across this time period. It was "OK" because the temperatures were on the rise. Now, it's the beginning of November and the temperatures are going down. Will mating season last all the way through June and will she be OK without neck feathers in cold temperatures? I'm concerned for my girl and separation is not a very feasible option for me.

My birds have taken over my 10x12 shed. It is now mostly insulated and I have a radiant heating "plate" which they cannot come in direct contact with and a 750w heating fan which is suspended 6' in the air which I will be turning on at nights when temperatures go below 0F. We had extremes of -35F last year. Hoping for a milder winter and a gentler gander in his second mating season. They would lose their minds if I separated them. The screaming is bad enough when they know I'm around and don't come out to visit or take them for their daily walk(unleashed) through the neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom