Matt from Conroe Texas saying Hello

Matt999W

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2015
Conroe, Tx
Hello fellow Chicken People.

My names Matt and my wife and I with our three princesses have been enjoying our first back yard flock for about six months now. We expected eggs yes, but we did not expect the joy and tears. We didn't expect to learn so much yet have such a drive to learn even more.

As of now we have 4 silkies only one old enough to be sure she is a hen. The other three have standing bets on what they are. Hoping our one white silkie turns out to be a cockerel so i can change it's name to snowman. :) Our late "Silkie" Cockerel named xavier fell to age.

We also had two Calico Cochin hens and matching cockerel given to us and i must say they are the most beautiful, silly, useless things to have been under my care. I say useless with care however when the cockerel is lower in the pecking order than a one month old silkie chick I say useless. The silkie chick in question is my Charlie, the first baby I've ever hatched. I wouldn't trade them for the world, but i'd love to know more about them.

To wrap it up we have two oddballs that we have free ranging. A Salmon Faverolle Rooster named brother that was given to us with the cochins. He and his brother were very weak and underweight when we got them. We were very upset to lose his brother before he could be properly wormed. Our survivor however is a fantastic, giggle inducing, and above all healthy and very happy. He struts around the yard with his best friend. The chicken that started it all for us. Quinn is an American Game Hen that literally a dog drug up. Before we had the chance to consider raising chickens I have my wife yelling at me that a dog dropped a dead chicken in our yard. Well long story short she wasn't dead, just very close to it. She's happy and healthy now and got a bit to use to watching tv while we nursed her back to health and now sneaks in the house when the kids forget to close the front door. Nothing like being woken up in the morning by your wife cussing at a chicken for roosting(poop) in her recliner.

I look forward to expanding both my flock and knowledge and I say thank you in advance for helping me do just that.

Hello fellow Chicken People.

My names Matt and my wife and I with our three princesses have been enjoying our first back yard flock for about six months now. We expected eggs yes, but we did not expect the joy and tears. We didn't expect to learn so much yet have such a drive to learn even more.

As of now we have 4 silkies only one old enough to be sure she is a hen. The other three have standing bets on what they are. Hoping our one white silkie turns out to be a cockerel so i can change it's name to snowman. :) Our late "Silkie" Cockerel named xavier fell to age.

We also had two Calico Cochin hens and matching cockerel given to us and i must say they are the most beautiful, silly, useless things to have been under my care. I say useless with care however when the cockerel is lower in the pecking order than a one month old silkie chick I say useless. The silkie chick in question is my Charlie, the first baby I've ever hatched. I wouldn't trade them for the world, but i'd love to know more about them.

To wrap it up we have two oddballs that we have free ranging. A Salmon Faverolle Rooster named brother that was given to us with the cochins. He and his brother were very weak and underweight when we got them. We were very upset to lose his brother before he could be properly wormed. Our survivor however is a fantastic, giggle inducing, and above all healthy and very happy. He struts around the yard with his best friend. The chicken that started it all for us. Quinn is an American Game Hen that literally a dog drug up. Before we had the chance to consider raising chickens I have my wife yelling at me that a dog dropped a dead chicken in our yard. Well long story short she wasn't dead, just very close to it. She's happy and healthy now and got a bit to use to watching tv while we nursed her back to health and now sneaks in the house when the kids forget to close the front door. Nothing like being woken up in the morning by your wife cussing at a chicken for roosting(poop) in her recliner.

I look forward to expanding both my flock and knowledge and I say thank you in advance for helping me do just that.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock. Please make yourself comfortable and ask any questions you may have. Sounds like you have some of the more exotic nice looking chickens. Silkies are great brooders and excellent mothers. If you wish to continue the exotic, stunning chickens there are some I can think of that are stunning. Phoenix, Frizzles, Brahmas, and Polishes. If I were to add another it would be Ameracauna or Easter Egger. Their eggs are amazing and little children love seeing the colorful eggs. I added Brahmas since they have feather feet and they can be both bantam and large. Polishes are the chickens with the afros that some people love. Phoenixes have very long tail feathers. Frizzles their name kind of explains what they look like.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry you lost one of the two SF roosters, but glad the other one survived and is doing well. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me). :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Hi Matt, very nice to meet you. I really enjoyed your intro. Sounds like you are very good at healing birds, especially one near death. Would love to see photos of your birds.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom