1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Matted chicken butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newchickenguy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Newchickenguy

Newchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok I have 9 chickens and one of them, the white leghorn has a matted looking butt. It looks as if her feathers are wet and matted around her butt. The other nine don't have this. They are all about 5 months old and have never laid an egg except the lehorn. She laid one egg and hasn't laid since. Also they all got very cold a few nights ago before I could lock them up in there pin.

I don't know what it is but it dosent look good. She seems fine except for the matted butt. No drainage or anything around her eyes. Does anyone know what this is??

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Do you see any mites or lice in the feathers around her vent? They can cause matted feathers. Its also possible that she is just having runny droppings, which are matting the feathers. Try offering her some yogurt, as this can help with digestive tract problems.

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Is the discharge that is causing the wet feathers clear, coludy, yellow, bloody? Does it have any odor? Is she acting normally otherwise?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be vent gleet which is a fungal infection. Washing the bottom , drying, and putting on an antifungal cream like Miconazole or Nustock from the feedstore the vent daily would work. Probiotics or a bit of yogurt 2-3 times a week would help. Worming with SafeGuard Liquid or Paste would be beneficial. Here is a link with pictures and instructions: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by