Maturity in Barred Rock Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tiffanys' Mama, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Tiffanys' Mama

Tiffanys' Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Michigan
    If I understand correctly, a rooster usually only gets aggressive when he hits maturity.? Do most roosters get aggressive and how old is a Barred Rock Rooster when he hits maturity?
    I've picked mine up and held him a few times and stroked his wattles as he seems to enjoy that. I'm hoping that he won't see me as a threat to him or his flock and won't get mean.

Thanks for any ideas. [​IMG]

Gail

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Hi! I'm pretty new at chickening, but here's what I've experienced.
    Roo #1 Blue Cochin - Was around 5 months when we got him. Was friendly. At 8 mos. old started flying up at the kids, then at me!! Tried breaking him of it but decided to re-home him.

Roo #2 Barred Rock - Raised him from a chick. Held him a lot. Was friendly until he reached maturity. Never bothered me, but would attack my then 4 yr. old daughter. He even tried to get her through the wire. He ended
    up on my neighbors dinner table. He was about 6 mos. when he started this, got progressively worse.

Roo #3 EE -Was very nice. Never bothered anyone. Treated the hens nicely. I re-homed him because he was an olive egger, so he'd produce offspring who layed olive egss. I'm not crazy about olive eggs. [​IMG] Found him a good home.

Roo #4 Bantam NN -Nice until he reached maturity. Never goes after me but occasionally will go after the kids. I put him in his place which keeps him in check for a while. Keeping him since he's not terribly aggressive, just
    a nuisance from time to time.

I've heard that handling them can make them nicer, but I've also heard that it can make them disrespect you therefore making them turn on you. I think it has to do with their genetic make up. Some breeds are known for not producing nice roos. However, I went out and got a Cochin roo because that was a breed known for being docile. Always exceptions to the rule. Only one way of knowing for sure and that's to wait and see. Hope
    your sweet boy works out for you.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. Tiffanys' Mama

Tiffanys' Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks Knock Kneed Hen. Allister is about 6 months old now but I just got him from my cousin last Wed. I know he wasn't treated mean before we got him.
    So far he's been ok with us and his hens. He's eaten out of my hand a couple times. He wouldn't take it if I held my hand out to him but if a hen was eating then he would eat. I guess it had to be his idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by