Maturity in ducks

How can you tell if a male or female duck has matured?
I have Rouen ducks. The males go through a color change as they sexual mature. Other than laying an egg, there's not a tell I use for females. If you are seaking full grown for meat, you just weigh them and compare to the market standards for the breed. Sometimes we are dealing with crossbreeds of course, in which case your looking at a window of 8 to 12 weeks of age.

I recently was given 3 male Rouen drakes. I had also purchased 7 Rouens (1 male & 6 females). They were purchased 4/18 and I was told the gifted ones were born 3/18. I have them separated with the 3 oddballs free ranging and in the pond and my new flock in an enclosure.

The oddballs are trying to mount each other and get through the fence to the newbies. The new male is sometimes trying to mount his new sisters. None of the males have fully colored out as yet.

When do ducks mature enough to lay eggs and actually breed?

My idea, which may be wrong, is to keep my newer flock enclosed in the house and pen until they lay eggs. My previous flock free ranged from the beginning and it was like Easter looking for eggs constantly. I was hoping if I kept them in the pen and house they would accept that's where they should lay. Is that right or will they be like my last flock which was Pekins?

I'm basically a chicken guy but don't understand ducks very well! Any ideas or help here?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom