Maturity vs. Growth Rate

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
I was just reading that the Egyptian Fayoumi is the fastest maturing chicken, with some cockerels reportedly crowing as early as 4 weeks and hens commonly laying at 4.5 months.

Of course, the Fayoumi is a very small breed, but it got me thinking...does the rate of maturity have any relation to growth-rate? Really, wouldn't we want fast growing, but slow MATURING chickens for meaties? Cockerels that aren't going to be crowing and fighting at 5-6 weeks, like the Fayoumi. Or does that maturity rate have a lot to do with the filling out that, for example, my Delaware and Chantecler cockerels are lacking at 16 weeks?

If that's the case, I'm trying a Cornish x with a Fayoumi.
big_smile.png

But really, what are the fastest growing LF breeds, even if they aren't commonly known for being good meat breeds. Leghorns? BR? RIR?

I dont know eitehr but I have been reading, reading, reading, and asking questions and the fastest growing filling out if always the cornish. THen everything else is way behind it. Ive been looking at the same thing and sure would like to know what other breeds grow fast and mature later. So far all the dual purpose breeds dont grow fast enough or lay enough eggs. I guess you cant have everything. As it is know I have leghorns for eggs and rabbits for meat. It looks like for the city thats the way its going to have to be for me.

I cant find a resource for the maturity rates of anything either. I would assume that most of them would parallel, growth rate and maturity rate. The Fayouma may grow fast and mature fast but it is small and I havent figured out how get the genetics. I have a lot of reading to do yet. It would be good if the Fayouma X Sussex would get big fast but I dont think its gonna work like that.

Last edited:
What's weird to me though is that in Stromberg's (for instance) in the bit where they're showing different breeds and have a small blurp they make a point of saying the dark and light Cornish are both SLOW... and that they use White Rocks for the females of their broilers... so what's that... I don't understand chicken genetics at all.

Quote:
Cornish are slow growing, but meaty. White rocks are not as meaty but are fast growing. Each bird brings a different portion of the final genetics to the table.
wink.png

So would it be better to take a semi meaty bird and cross it with a White Rock then to get faster growth? I am looking at crosing Light Sussex (slow growing) with something to get a faster growing bird but I dont want Cornex.

Ah gotcha. I kinda figured that had to be it, but they didn't make a point of saying anything about Rocks being fast so I didn't want to assume... doing that gets me every dern time.

Thanks for the edjumacating!
big_smile.png

So... anyone ever made a Giant Rock then? I just like that name, but it'd be awesome if it worked.... I can just see me trying to explain it to my sister... That there is a rock (pointing to mom)... and that THERE (pointing at a tiny chick) is a giant rock... and her befuddled look... hehe so worth the price of admission.

I am looking at crosing Light Sussex (slow growing) with something to get a faster growing bird but I dont want Cornex.

Id use a Delaware they are supposed to have a pretty fast rate of growth and are well fleshed themselves.​

Its my understanding that the Delaware is a slow growing breed and it doesnt feather up quickly. I hear some say that the sussex will grow quickly but not mature fast. I assume it is because they get to be 9 or 10 pounds. Then again the Jerseys and Dels arent much different in that respect.

The commercially bred monstrous birds have spoiled us maybe.

Last edited:
Quote:
Id use a Delaware they are supposed to have a pretty fast rate of growth and are well fleshed themselves.

Again from Strombergs... in their Sex Links area they say

Red SL = RIR Male + USUALLY Del Female = 250+eggs/yr
Gold SL = RIR Male + RI White Female = 230+eggs/yr
Black SL = RIR Male + Barred Rock Female = 240+eggs/yr
Production Red = RIR Male + New Hamp Female = 240+eggs/yr

Weights are listed as 5lb male 4lb females for all the above.

If that helps at all.

Back
Top Bottom