Maude’s recovery

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I took Maude nickname (modge podge) in June 2nd. She had been a production bird for an egg farm. They were going to cull all their 1 year old birds to usher in the new laying birds. My neighbor tries and saves as many birds like that as she can and asked if I would like one. Little did I know what I was getting into. Being the first time raising chickens I was excited to have a new bird. She came scared and like she had never seen grass or knew how to be a proper chicken. Her paws were in bad condition, beak clipped and feathers falling out left and right. She was underweight and even scared of the chicks. She did not know how to roost and would bite at everyone out of fear. Today a little over a month later she is doing really well! Eating, foraging,drinking and roosting like a champ. Still no eggs but it doesn’t bother me. I’m happy that I was able to give her a little bit of a better life. She is third in the pecking order and is super sweet a glutton for treats. She’s still super quiet I’ve only her her clucking low here and there, like she is muttering to herself.

Being new to this I did not quarantine. All my birds got sick with a respiratory infection from Maude but are all back to normal after two weeks and antibiotics. Lesson learned!

Here is Maude when I got her:
0B292E92-9A70-46F6-9CA5-40B2B926B9E3.jpeg

39209367-1F7F-4BFB-A66C-400F31C5345C.jpeg

Maude now:
BF594451-61F1-4EB3-97E9-9B08DC806BAC.jpeg

8621C961-41AB-4485-BDDF-2BBB52FE4553.jpeg

934567C6-CFDF-4BD4-B50B-25E42CE7B46D.jpeg

I took Maude nickname (modge podge) in June 2nd. She had been a production bird for an egg farm. They were going to cull all their 1 year old birds to usher in the new laying birds. My neighbor tries and saves as many birds like that as she can and asked if I would like one. Little did I know what I was getting into. Being the first time raising chickens I was excited to have a new bird. She came scared and like she had never seen grass or knew how to be a proper chicken. Her paws were in bad condition, beak clipped and feathers falling out left and right. She was underweight and even scared of the chicks. She did not know how to roost and would bite at everyone out of fear. Today a little over a month later she is doing really well! Eating, foraging,drinking and roosting like a champ. Still no eggs but it doesn’t bother me. I’m happy that I was able to give her a little bit of a better life. She is third in the pecking order and is super sweet a glutton for treats. She’s still super quiet I’ve only her her clucking low here and there, like she is muttering to herself.

Being new to this I did not quarantine. All my birds got sick with a respiratory infection from Maude but are all back to normal after two weeks and antibiotics. Lesson learned!

Here is Maude when I got her:
View attachment 3566735

View attachment 3566747

Maude now:
View attachment 3566749
View attachment 3566755
View attachment 3566753
She looks so healthy and happy! I am so glad you rescued her!

Back
Top Bottom