Max # of chickens

SeraCross

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2015

I have a 10'x10' coop with four 10' roosts that currently houses 39 chickens. They also have a yard that's about 50'x60'; this will be expanded in the spring to about 70'x80'. We will probably be adding two more roosts as well. As we are entering the egg business, we will be getting more birds in the future, and I was wanting to know the max # allowed in this setup.

I was wanting to know the max # allowed in this setup.

My coop is only 4x8 and I have house as many as 24 hens sometimes even more. With no issues. Outside extra cleaning. Over crowding can cause cannibalism in your flock. Among other disease and health issues. We both have been lucky in my estimation because we are definitely over the rule of thumb.

Last edited:
Your coop is already housing about twice as many as it should, especially if the coop is the only shelter area for them.

They have several bushes and trees for additional shelter. Also, I was under the impression that coops could run smaller if they had plenty of run and roost space. With 40' of roost space at 10"/bird, that would allow 48 birds. I've also never had pecking, ammonia, etc. issues.

25 chickens at 4 sq ft per bird or 50 at 2 sq ft per bird. Probably a lot of people would say 4sq per bird, but if they go out at dawn and back in at dusk, then i think 2 sq ft is plenty, unless you cant keep up the cleaning, or pecking issues start to happen. And you already know about roost space. So good luck

Last edited:
25 chickens at 4 sq ft per bird or 50 at 2 sq ft per bird. Probably a lot of people would say 4sq per bird, but if they go out at dawn and back in at dusk, then i think 2 sq ft is plenty, unless you cant keep up the cleaning, or pecking issues start to happen. And you already know about roost space. So good luck

Thanks! This is what I was assuming. They go out around 8am and put themselves away at dusk. They don't even use two of the roosts. XD

I have 28 hens and a 10# rooster in an 8 x 10 coop, they have a 5000 square foot run that they spend 95% of their time in, the only time they spend in the coop is laying an egg and roosting, I've never had any problems ,knock on wood. They have plenty of cover outside, a shed they can go in some tree branches to rummage around in. Im lucky that outside space is not a problem, if they only had a small run I think I might have some issues but for now all is good.

What is your climate?
How long have you had the birds?
That can play a big part in how much time, year round, that they can spend outside.

The upper roost on the right looks too close to the wall to be comfortable.

I live in NW PA. They don't mind the snow (they're all cold-hardy breeds) and we plow the yard if it gets deep. One group is 13 mo and the other is 5 mo.

It's funny you say that, cuz that's their fave roost. XD

Back
Top Bottom