Maximum number of Eggs from ONE nesting box in ONE day.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CackleFan, Jan 7, 2009.

1. CackleFan

CackleFan In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have 18 laying hens and 4 nesting boxes for them. Somehow, they created a fifth nesting box under the horse I put in the pen for them. Yesterday when I got home after work, I found 9 eggs from their faviraite nesting box, the one under the horse, and 4 eggs (one each from two nesting boxes and two from one nesting box). I am amazed how they can make their schedule to lay 9 eggs in one nesting box. All 9 eggs are very close to each other, but not on top of each other. I love my girls (11 BR, 5 BSL, and 2 butter cup)! [​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Chickens seem to love to use the same box. Sometimes more than one will pile in and lay at the same time. [​IMG]

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I have three particular hens, one Ameracauna, one buff orp, and one NH Red who routinely squeeze in together to lay at the same time, and chat like ladies at a quilting bee. It's especially silly because the Orp is like a giant SUV in size, and can barely fit in the box herself! How they arrange themselves to share it I don't know.

I lived in a triple in college where one girl had to get off the floor and up on the bunk bed to make enough room to open another's dresser.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    the 'horse', is it a sawhorse? they may feel safe under it, like it's protection.

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊ 10 Years

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    well we have 2 hens and 4 pullets(4 Red Stars share a coop and 2 Buff Orpingtons share another coop) And we usually get 6 eggs(sometimes 5) a day. All 4 Red tars(2 pullets and the 2 hens) seem to like using a certain nest box; the one that has the most light in it. We usually get 4 eggs in that box. With the buffs, we have 2 nest boxes for them. They just choose either nest box. sometimes they share, sometimes they don't.
    The most eggs we got one day was 8! 8 eggs from 6 hens/pullets! LOL [​IMG]

6. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    16!!!!!

7. kbarrett

kbarrett Songster

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I got 11 eggs the other day. 9 in one box 2 in another which left 2 empty nest boxes.

8. hottexaschick

hottexaschick In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Collin County, Texas
    From our 15 girls we get about a dozen a day. I normaly find 1 egg in each of the first three nest boxes and 9 in the last box [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I have 13 chickens and only 9 are hens. They have 10 nesting boxes, all identical. They lay 9 eggs in two nests with 6 usually in one. Crazy!

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm 10 Years

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have 18 girls and 6 nest boxes. I find they do prefer certain next boxes and sometimes more than one bird in a nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: