Maximum number of Eggs from ONE nesting box in ONE day.

CackleFan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Massachusetts
I have 18 laying hens and 4 nesting boxes for them. Somehow, they created a fifth nesting box under the horse I put in the pen for them. Yesterday when I got home after work, I found 9 eggs from their faviraite nesting box, the one under the horse, and 4 eggs (one each from two nesting boxes and two from one nesting box). I am amazed how they can make their schedule to lay 9 eggs in one nesting box. All 9 eggs are very close to each other, but not on top of each other. I love my girls (11 BR, 5 BSL, and 2 butter cup)!
thumbsup.gif

I have three particular hens, one Ameracauna, one buff orp, and one NH Red who routinely squeeze in together to lay at the same time, and chat like ladies at a quilting bee. It's especially silly because the Orp is like a giant SUV in size, and can barely fit in the box herself! How they arrange themselves to share it I don't know.

I lived in a triple in college where one girl had to get off the floor and up on the bunk bed to make enough room to open another's dresser.

well we have 2 hens and 4 pullets(4 Red Stars share a coop and 2 Buff Orpingtons share another coop) And we usually get 6 eggs(sometimes 5) a day. All 4 Red tars(2 pullets and the 2 hens) seem to like using a certain nest box; the one that has the most light in it. We usually get 4 eggs in that box. With the buffs, we have 2 nest boxes for them. They just choose either nest box. sometimes they share, sometimes they don't.
The most eggs we got one day was 8! 8 eggs from 6 hens/pullets! LOL
big_smile.png

I have 13 chickens and only 9 are hens. They have 10 nesting boxes, all identical. They lay 9 eggs in two nests with 6 usually in one. Crazy!

I have 18 girls and 6 nest boxes. I find they do prefer certain next boxes and sometimes more than one bird in a nest box.

Back
Top Bottom