Maximum temperatures for adult chickens

Ann Wellhouse

Chirping
Feb 27, 2021
We have a difficult climate here in Campo, CA.

Summer days can be 90-105 with nights in the 40's.

Will my chickens tolerate the high temperatures and the extremes?

We have a difficult climate here in Campo, CA.

Summer days can be 90-105 with nights in the 40's.

Will my chickens tolerate the high temperatures and the extremes?

You are lucky you have cool nights. Here in Texas it stays very warm.
Make sure your birds have shade available from late morning to early evening, and make sure your waterers stay in the shade so your water doesn't get hot. If they are stuck in a run it's very important they have lots of ventilation, and the whole run should be in the shade.

Thank you.

I am putting a tarp over the top of half the run where the coop is and the other half will be fully covered top and sides with shade cloth. The waterers are under the tarp.

We can't do free range because we are out in the unfenced countryside with lots and lots of predators.

Yup they’ll do fine. I live in Phoenix and it’s often 110+ for weeks on end with overnight lows around 90 to 95. They’ll appreciate cool dirt so a spot you can wet down daily will be nice for that. They’ll also appreciate a kiddie pool to wade in. I cut it down so it’s just a couple inches deep and set a 10# block of ice in it and the girls will stand in the cool water and drink it as well. Don’t add water to the pool, just the ice. Save a Chick is also helpful once or twice a week.

Great ideas!

I had no idea they might like a bit of water to walk in. I have an x-large dog tray that would probably work for the ice.

Save a Chick? Oh electrolytes? I'm doing that with my chicks now so will continue it.

Thank you!

Yup they’ll do fine. I live in Phoenix and it’s often 110+ for weeks on end with overnight lows around 90 to 95. They’ll appreciate cool dirt so a spot you can wet down daily will be nice for that. They’ll also appreciate a kiddie pool to wade in. I cut it down so it’s just a couple inches deep and set a 10# block of ice in it and the girls will stand in the cool water and drink it as well. Don’t add water to the pool, just the ice. Save a Chick is also helpful once or twice a week.

This is the second time someone has mentioned it being 95F at night. That has to be record setting. In fact I just looked it up and I can't believe how many days Phoenix had lows in the 90s last year! Holy cow poor chickens :(. The ice bath is a great idea.

I'm in West Texas and our summers get over 120. I make sure my chickens have deep shade, cool water with ice to drink and stand in, tons of ventilation in the coop, and I will occasionally put a fan out there if it's not a breezy day. Every once in a while I will give them frozen fruit.

This is the second time someone has mentioned it being 95F at night. That has to be record setting. In fact I just looked it up and I can't believe how many days Phoenix had lows in the 90s last year! Holy cow poor chickens :(. The ice bath is a great idea.
It can definitely be brutal. We’ve had a few record breaking years for heat lately and the weather folks are saying it’s becoming the new normal. I hope not.

Great ideas!

I had no idea they might like a bit of water to walk in. I have an x-large dog tray that would probably work for the ice.

Save a Chick? Oh electrolytes? I'm doing that with my chicks now so will continue it.

Thank you!
The Save a Chick really seems to help. I give it two or three times a week when it’s really hot.

They’ll also appreciate a kiddie pool to wade in. I cut it down so it’s just a couple inches deep and set a 10# block of ice in it and the girls will stand in the cool water and drink it as well. Don’t add water to the pool, just the ice. Save a Chick is also helpful once or twice a week.
Ditto Dat!
Not so hot here all the time, but humid too.
I've lost a couple to heat stroke, until I started the ice and EL.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Back
Top Bottom