Maxxing out incubator space?

Omani

Songster
13 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Machias,NY
I am new to incubating eggs. My first batch hatched on 3/7-3/8/10. Eight out of nine. In a Little Giant 9200 still air with egg turner. I'm very pleased with the results. But one thing did bother me. Watching the older chicks move around and run, jump, bump, kick and fall over the remaining eggs worried me. Does that do any damage to the eggs? My LG says that it will hold 41 eggs. That can't be safe. To the chicks or remaining eggs. It doesn't look like there's enough room to lay them all flat and I can't see all of them fitting in there after they hatch.
Any ideas or suggestions? I would like to know if anybody has ever maxxed out their incubator (any brand) and how it worked out for you.
Thanks,
Sandy

Ill tell you I have seen bators full to the max.. Eggs on top of other eggs .. I dont think they harm the other eggs.. My lil buttons were bumping into and rolling all over the other eggs and it didnt stop any of mine form hatching...

What about the humidity? Wouldn't all those eggs hatching raise the humidity too much? I put too much water in and I had an awful time getting it back down.

Not sure really.. I honsetly havent even watched my humidity thru this whole hatch . I just made sure the water wells where full and have had an awesome hatch rate..

Some people hatch in egg cartons (including me) with the bottoms cut out for just this reason; it helps the eggs not get jarred around by already hatched chicks, clean up is easier.
Also because they are standing the same as in the turner you can fit more eggs in to hatch at one time.

Most LG with the turner will hold 42 eggs, using the egg cartons they will all fit nicely in there for hatching.

I take my turner out add the egg carton and move the eggs as I candle on Night 18; that way morning of the 19th I fill the water trough and raise the humidity. I have had eggs pip on Day 19, so that is why just before I am ready to retire for the night I move my eggs into position for lockdown. that way if they pip I can add water through the vents to raise humidity.

cool.png

I used the tops of the egg cartons and laid the eggs on their sides. I thought about using the bottoms, but after seeing them hatch, I'm not so sure. How do they get out of the leftover shells? They all sort of pipped on the side of the egg, near the big end. Is that normal, or do I have oddballs? I'm such a worry wart. I just don't want to screw anything up for them.

They will pip and zip all the way around the top of the big wider end of the egg. That is why you place the narrow side down for incubating and hatching. It is so neat to watch them zip the top off of the eggs. You wait to see if when they pop their head out if they will be wearing the top hat !! LOL They won't have any problem hatching out of the shell being in the bottom cartons. Nor will they have a problem moving around.
Enjoy, it is a wonderful experience. I just hatched out my first batch two weeks ago. And if you think that is fun wait till you start watching the babies ! I'm hooked !!!
Quote:

A top hat.
gig.gif
I can't wait. I'm going to try another batch in about amonth. But then, I'm already hooked.

I hatch out my chicks using egg cartons and believe me - it is a lot cleaner! The chicks are positioned with their feet towards the pointy end of the egg so when they hatch their head just comes up and they are sitting in the bottom half of the shell.
The op about anyone maxxing out their bator?.....lol that's why I built a bigger one! A 42 egger was not big enough for me
To lower the humidity level just have the main reservoir filled until lock down and then fill the other one- it should say on the plastic liner. Usually the chicks hatching will raise the humidity a bit and fog the window but then make sure your vents are open when they start hatching.
CC, it seems the more experience you have hatching the more routine it becomes. Usually after the first time you can figure out just how much water you need.
sad.png
I drowned my first batch in the hatcher after they were the 1st of 3 attempts to survive my new bator temp spikes. The spikes were because the water ran dry. That's why I was jumping for joy - I finally got it right...lol

YES have packed tray full, still have great hatch rate... Thing about turning eggs they don't need turned the last 3 days, BUT it doesn't HURT if they do get turned.. Hens still turn eggs that are pipped. All the large hatchers eggs are packed in trays the last 3 days, and yes layed on their sides.

Other chicks hatch dont hurt the others from hatching..........

Back
Top Bottom