May 1st Hatch ***HATCHING!!!***

We are planning on putting eggs under our hen on the 10th for a hatch on May 2nd, my hubby's birthday. That is if we can get our maran eggs by then. What are you hatching?

I'll be attempting to hatch barnyard mutts... lol

I haven't hatched in years but need more egg layers and the wife is adamant about not spending any money on more chickens. They are mostly Barred Rock, but some have a little gold in them. I also have one Buff Orpington hen, and one black hen I think is a black sex-link. Should be an interesting mix.

Its mostly going to be a test run of my incubator. I'm fairly ashamed to admit this... but the last time I used it had to have been at least 3 years ago. Since then we have moved and its been shuffled around and wound up stored outside for at least one of the years. Thats not how a $160 piece of equipment should be treated!!! So, I recently tore it completely apart and cleaned it and fixed any bad wiring, etc... It's been up and running the last week and I've been tweaking it here and there. I even wrapped it in double layer foil bubble wrap. I was pretty impressed I hadn't destroyed it, so I'm putting it to work and going to pay more attention to where it gets stored!

Jon

We are going to hatch out a few mutts too. We have 2 buff orp hens and an easter egger hen with a buff orp rooster. I can't wait for all of those adorable little chicks. I wish we had an incubator. Our broody hen decided to quit yesterday but I think I have enticed her back. I just have to hurry up and get the maran eggs for her. I might see if I can get them tomorrow if he has the full dozen. This will be fun!!

Good luck, I've never had any luck trying to get a hen to go broody. In years past I have usually had at least one hen that showed interest in being a broody, but not this year. That's why I figured I'd give the incubator a try again.

I was actually surprised no-one else is aiming for a hatch date of May 1st.

*edited for spelling
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Well, she was broody for over a month and yesterday seemed to sort of lose interest so I put some decoy eggs in the nest and she seems interested. I hope it continues. I only have 3 hens so not much chance of someone else going broody real soon here. I hope it works.

Just set eggs in my incubator for a May 1st hatch. Of the 39 I set 4 are over 2 weeks old, so I'm not sure if they will hatch or not, but it can't hurt to try. I'll also toss in the 2 or 3 eggs I get later today. Wish me luck!
fl.gif

Yay, she is broody again so she is sitting on cuckoo maran eggs, easter egger eggs and buff orp eggs and she is a buff orp hen. I'm really excited!! Yippee!! They should be hatching on my hubby's birthday. What fun!!

Back
Top Bottom