May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
I believe that the more popular recommendation is 24-48 hours of not turning. Don’t worry about the book for 1-2 days. Otherwise, you may as well be using the turner.

I believe that the more popular recommendation is 24-48 hours of not turning. Don’t worry about the book for 1-2 days. Otherwise, you may as well be using the turner.
So don’t turn for only 24-48 hours? Or don’t put in the incubator for 24-48 hours?

My Ancona Eggs made it to me. 1 had a crush mark that I sealed with crayon wax. The air-cells are pretty wobbly in most of them. I marked where they sit with a solid lined circle & where you can see they wobble to with a dotted line. They are now going to rest 24hrs before they go Into the incubator.

I plan to put them in my turner so they are upright. Now here is the thing I’ve read to leave them in the upright position & not turn for the first 5-7 days but then I’ve also read to use a block to tilt the turner slightly. My things is wouldn’t that be like turning the auto turner on? It slowly tilts the eggs in increments...??

Now does anyone have experience with detached air cells & having some hatch out fine? Chicken or duck doesn’t matter. Tips or tricks?

I plan to candle them day 10 but I’m not even going to take them out of the up right positions. I’m going to remain hands off as far as lifting the eggs out of turner. Because of the cells I’ll probably hatch them out upright. Does this all sound ok?
I leave mine sitting upright for 5-7 days without turning them. I have had great hatch rates with detached air cells. Just moving them isn't good the first few days because the air cells never has time to situate itself.

I usually just keep my turner shut off. I usually candle between days 5-7 to see how the air cells are doing (do it carefully). Once I see that they are situated, I will start the turner so that the chicks do not get stuck on one side of the shell.

My shipped NC friz/nn eggs will probably come tomorrow. She collected on last weekend sent on Mon. So when I get the eggs they will be one week old. Should I let settle 12 or 24 hours before incubating? I am going to assume they have saddles, I can incubate upright in still turners, for the first few days.

If you have a saddle do you still put them in an incubator with a turner, after the 5-7 days??

I leave mine sitting upright for 5-7 days without turning them. I have had great hatch rates with detached air cells. Just moving them isn't good the first few days because the air cells never has time to situate itself.

I usually just keep my turner shut off. I usually candle between days 5-7 to see how the air cells are doing (do it carefully). Once I see that they are situated, I will start the turner so that the chicks do not get stuck on one side of the shell.
So would this be considered detached or saddle aircell? In the pic you can see the aircell but then there’s is a fainter area (I marked with a dotted line)that the aircell will move if tipped but won’t float around the rest of the egg.
A43DDC9D-33B0-449D-8E05-501AC11E23C9.jpeg

So would this be considered detached or saddle aircell? In the pic you can see the aircell but then there’s is a fainter area (I marked with a dotted line)that the aircell will move if tipped but won’t float around the rest of the egg.
View attachment 2630621
That to me sounds detached if it can move at all. Air cells should never move unless they’ve detached. Only time they’ll move is when incubating (losing liquid content because there’s a chick inside). Saddled to me is the air cell is a wonky looking shape. This BYC thread shows what saddled looks like https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-huge-saddle-shaped-air-cells.929846/

I set 55 Bielefelder eggs for a May 5 hatch. Brand new incubator, so wish me luck!
I’ve been looking for a couple of these in my area. Closest I can find is a couple hours away from me & they were having trouble with the rooster they had in there so they had to switch him out. Waiting to hear how it goes.
Good luck! Hope you get some soon!

Did my day 10 candle last night. I have 18 Swedish Flower eggs still going strong, 8 buff Orpington eggs & 1 Brahma/leghorn. I am breathing a sigh of relief because in my last hatch half the eggs had already died by this point. This time I have only lost 3 of the ones that were fertilized so my fingers are crossed for a better hatch this time.

Back
Top Bottom