May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Popping in to say that now that my girls aren't being free-loading slackers, I have 5 Paint Silkie eggs due to hatch 5.29, and that I very well may need therapy for this chicken addiction...
Okay, let us begin!
You are not the problem. Those of us with our heads on straight know that if you can count your chickens, you don’t have enough. Rosters don’t count because they are alarm clocks, protectors or future meals. Hens don’t count because they are working to give us eggs or incubate them. Chicks don’t count because we don’t know their sex yet, and they can die at any time. Named birds don’t count because we don’t count our pets.

A month ago I had 10 chickens, 8 quail. I now have 20 chickens and 12 quail plus 4 chicken and 30 quail eggs due in a few weeks. The total of live birds would be higher if I hadn’t made stupid mistakes near/on hatch days.
I don’t have a problem!

The two eggs due yesterday hatched, they were the eggs under the broody that went cold, in hindsight I did move her and the eggs so that was most likely the cause of her getting off them. They look just like the first chick but I have a feeling they are both cockerels. The last 2 eggs just went into lockdown

Okay, let us begin!
You are not the problem. Those of us with our heads on straight know that if you can count your chickens, you don’t have enough. Rosters don’t count because they are alarm clocks, protectors or future meals. Hens don’t count because they are working to give us eggs or incubate them. Chicks don’t count because we don’t know their sex yet, and they can die at any time. Named birds don’t count because we don’t count our pets.
This just made my night!

There was only one survivor of my hatch, and that one had to be assisted out of the egg after two days. The egg shell was quite thick, and I have cut down on the amount of oyster shell that the girls get. Anyway, here was the chick on Monday (hatch day) and again yesterday. It's early, but this one seems like a cockerel to me.

Yesterday I bought it some silver grey Dorking "siblings" because it thought I was mama and was screaming for attention. It's amazing how such loud sounds can come out of something so small. Now I can sleep through the night.

Attachments

• 20210518_153910.jpg
    20210518_153910.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210521_163142.jpg
    20210521_163142.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 3
Not feeling great about those last 3 eggs.

I quickly candled while in incubator & not seeing movement. One possibly had movement but... I’ll leave them a couple extra days just in case.

I’ll post photos soon of the babies 😊

Back
Top Bottom