May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
What would you do if you recieved shipped duck eggs with air cells that were a little wiggly and your incubator only works with eggs on their sides. Would you incubate on their sides from day one, incubate in cut cartons for a certain time then lay them in their sides or would you incubate upright for the whole incubation??
Asking for myself :D
I’m dealing with this exact situation.
Had 24 duck eggs come in with wobbly aircells. I let them rest out of the incubator in their carton for 24 hours. Then put them in the incubator standing up in the turner with the turner off for 7 days. Then I switched the turner on. I candled on day 9 & all we’re developing & the aircells were stable but a lil misshapen then non damaged eggs.

I’m waiting to candle again day 18. Currently day 15.

my last eggs-of the 16 lockdown, so far of the 16 I only threw out one...
20m.PNG

Below golden spitz
20n.PNG

Polish cuckoo, and a silver spitz
20o.PNG

The other chicks I posted earlier...
20q.PNG

Oh how fun. I love the idea of a hatch-a-long. I have 20 eggs in the bator now due to hatch May 10th. We just went into lockdown yesterday! My kiddos are hoping for at least one mother's day chick. 😂 We'll see. This is my first hatch in my new incubator. Everything looked good when I candled right before lock down. We have 19 Lavender Orpington eggs and 1 silkie bantam egg from a sweet hen we recently and very suddenly lost. Excited to see how many we get!

I have a question for you all. Do you elevate one end of your egg carton that you store hatching eggs in and switch which end is elevated several times a day?

Back
Top Bottom