May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
My jumbo quail have started pipping which started right after the solo chicken chick in with them hatched. Button quail due to hatch right after these
What do you do with button quail? I’ve always wanted them but I never knew how to make them a cage or aviary. They’re so tiny compared to coturnix.

What do you do with button quail? I’ve always wanted them but I never knew how to make them a cage or aviary. They’re so tiny compared to coturnix.
Mostly ornamental pets to live in my cockatiel, budgie and finch aviaries and to act as a clean up crew. Other than aviaries I aleo keep them in long flight cages modified so the floor is solid rather than wire or in rabbit hutches

How long should I wait before interfering? The chick started to pip 26 hours ago, and the egg has a crack nearly an inch long. The other eggs are not showing signs of hatching yet.

Because the others aren’t pipped yet, give this one more time. Of course, if you just can’t feel comfortable with that, do what you think is best.
Step 1, don’t open the incubator unless the room you’re in is fairly warm. You don’t want the chicks to be shocked by a frigid room cooling them quickly.
Step 2, keep an eye on the humidity since opening the incubator decreases it.
Now see what needs to be done to get the beak breathing oxygen. GENTLY break away tiny pieces of shell. Your fingernails or tweezers can be used, but don’t poke the chick with the tweezers. If there’s blood, STOP! Don’t panic because not only does panic not help, but if you really went slow, it’s unlikely you did any damage.
If you see that the membrane is turning a yellowish or brown, that means that the chick is shrink wrapped, and it needs moistened with oil or petroleum jelly.

Because the others aren’t pipped yet, give this one more time. Of course, if you just can’t feel comfortable with that, do what you think is best.
Step 1, don’t open the incubator unless the room you’re in is fairly warm. You don’t want the chicks to be shocked by a frigid room cooling them quickly.
Step 2, keep an eye on the humidity since opening the incubator decreases it.
Now see what needs to be done to get the beak breathing oxygen. GENTLY break away tiny pieces of shell. Your fingernails or tweezers can be used, but don’t poke the chick with the tweezers. If there’s blood, STOP! Don’t panic because not only does panic not help, but if you really went slow, it’s unlikely you did any damage.
If you see that the membrane is turning a yellowish or brown, that means that the chick is shrink wrapped, and it needs moistened with oil or petroleum jelly.
Many thanks. I'll wait a bit. The membrane that's visible where it's breaking open looks white. One of the eggs was pretty lively before lockdown, and it hasn't even pipped yet.

Back
Top Bottom