May 2023 Hatch-a-long

Does anyone ever feel like keeping chickens is a constant battle against predators and pests? For those of you who were in the April hatch with me, maybe you remember how I had a chick go missing from the shed overnight?

Well, 2 of my May chicks have also disappeared from the shed now. I am thinking it has to be a rat because if it was a stoat it would have killed more than one at a time.

So I am going to start putting them in a plastic bin overnight with a screen over the top, hopefully they will be safe from the rat in there. I am down to 12 chicks from my original 16, as I had another chick die and I had to cull one that was having seizures. Just hope I have a lot of pullets in this group, cause it looks like only 2 of my April hatch are female!

Going to hatch again since I really need more hens, so I’ll probably see some of you in the June HAL.
Rats sometime chew through plastic totes to get to stored feed and if they are eating birds they are feed to them too.... Hope it works for you. A rat trap or perhaps a bait station for rats could be put out to where the chicks could not get to them would also help reduce the problem?

Does anyone ever feel like keeping chickens is a constant battle against predators and pests? For those of you who were in the April hatch with me, maybe you remember how I had a chick go missing from the shed overnight?

Well, 2 of my May chicks have also disappeared from the shed now. I am thinking it has to be a rat because if it was a stoat it would have killed more than one at a time.

So I am going to start putting them in a plastic bin overnight with a screen over the top, hopefully they will be safe from the rat in there. I am down to 12 chicks from my original 16, as I had another chick die and I had to cull one that was having seizures. Just hope I have a lot of pullets in this group, cause it looks like only 2 of my April hatch are female!

Going to hatch again since I really need more hens, so I’ll probably see some of you in the June HAL.
It is a constant battle especially when they’re tiny.

I have put mine in bins like you describe with a screen but my favorite way is to train them on sleeping in a small pet porter. I go out before I go to bed and shut the door then bring them onto my sunporch for the night.

Sorry for your losses and that you had to cull one.

I didn’t hatch these beauties but picked them up this morning. The babies are 2 mos old and huge😀
694997E3-A5BA-45CB-B46D-757E57BE531C.jpeg

Also in other non hatching news my daughter found this fawn in the grass🥰
8F810927-0F1C-419E-AB01-C437CC6828BE.jpeg

Ended up setting 81 eggs, down to 65 after pulling clears and one super early quitter. Getting rid of one of the roosters shows in this batch! We have 2 roosters now and over 40 hens, so I’m very impressed. Those boys must be staying busy, I’m super happy with that fertility rate considering!

The customer I am hatching for only wants about 40 chicks, so I won’t be too disappointed if we get about a 70% hatch rate from the 65 eggs.

This will be my last hatch of the year, unless I get a new customer who puts a deposit down ahead…chicks are not as much as a hot commodity anymore and I can’t find an auction or swap less than an hour away from me this year!

Ugh!! I am so so sorry.
I was hesitant to share...
But I had a chick escape yesterday...and my 13wk Olds got it....
34 birds against one newly born chick....😭😭😭

I am devastated...it was my fault....

I am sorry you've been losing chicks.

Mine are back in the house for the next wk...till I have time to wrap their holding cell with cardboard along the bottom....

I now have 4 chicks 😭😭

I am waiting to see if I got my boys first before trying to hatch again...I think I got lucky and have 2

Attachments

• 20230526_202918.jpg
    20230526_202918.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom