May 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
I am debating on taking my turner out tonight. It is day 17 but they started to hatch on day 19 last time and were done by day 20......

BUT I have the other eggs that I just set in there so I would have to turn those by hand a day longer....... hmmmmmmm Unsure of what to do. May candle and see how they look and then decide from there.

I am debating on taking my turner out tonight. It is day 17 but they started to hatch on day 19 last time and were done by day 20......

BUT I have the other eggs that I just set in there so I would have to turn those by hand a day longer....... hmmmmmmm Unsure of what to do. May candle and see how they look and then decide from there.
Hand-turning is annoying but sometimes necessary, especially when it’s temporary!

ok starting to really rethink and worry about this situation. I am ok with the humidity being up for a couple days but once I have a pip I can't turn the eggs which would be really early on when everyone says it is most important.... And I was just reading and they say hatching chicks getting the hatching "goop" on them can be dangerous for them.... I was thinking maybe hatching chicks would "turn" them as they moved around in the incubator but now that sounds like a bad idea....... Once I notice internal pips should I just take the new eggs out and put them under the broody I am giving the incubator chicks to and PRAY that none get broken in the couple days they are under her?

My 2 broodys were good last year with the eggs and chicks so thought they would be fine this year. They do let others come in and lay with them but they don't run off the nest like the younger ones were. Well today I watched on the camera and one of my other older ones went in with the one I gave eggs to yesterday and was pecking at her etc to get her to move and she didn't so they both laid there then I looked in about 5-10 min later and she had gotten up (mine you in a week of her being broody and the almost 2 weeks of the other one being broody not ONE other chicken has pecked at them to get them up they just join them and lay in the box)..... I went to collect eggs and noticed one I had given her was broken. UGH!!!!!!! Not sure how it got broken since that broody was on, the other chicken went in there and laid, then the broody I am trying to break ended up jumping on that nest (normally this doesn't happen so hoping today was just an odd day) so could have been any of them that broke it........ But makes me nervous to give one the eggs i the incubator while the first set hatches out even if it is only for a couple days. But I am not seeing another choice so the eggs get turned....... Guess then once the ones hatch in the incubator I can swap out chicks for eggs. But I was going to put one egg that is ready to hatch under the broody I plan to give the chicks to so at least she heard the peeping before it hatches and one hatches under her, but how can I do that with the new eggs since again hatching goo would get on them????

And I think 15 is too many to have under the other broody.......

britney spears GIF

A local chicken tender posted a rainbow pack of hatching eggs and had lovely dark browns… Somehow a dozen dark brown eggs ended up in my hands and fell into the incubator! I don’t know what happened 😂

Back
Top Bottom