May get some ducks - A few questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mr chicken dude, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Alright,

So I have almost successfully convinced my parents on ducks we still have a few questions before we start raising them.

- Our pond is about 50x50ft and 3 ft deep will they be happy with a pond that size?

- Will they fly off for any reason, Because I really don't wanna clip their wings as that is their only line of defense against predators.

- What do I feed them from chicks to adults I did a google search they say layer feed is to high in protein and some people feed just cracked corn but I don't think that's good for them.

- They will not be living with the chickens but can they free range with them?

- We kinda only want ducks as pets and we will eat eggs when they lay though what would be a good breed?

- What are some plans for a pen that would only be meant to hold two ducks.

Thanks,Collin

2. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    1. They will love a pond that size- mine are happy in a kiddy pool.
    2. This depends on the breed- for example, pekins can't fly, but calls can.
    3. I fed mine a mixture of purina flock raiser and unmedicated chick starter until they were laying, then I fed them purina layena. In addition to pelleted food, they get fruit, vegetables, mealworms, and cracked corn as treats.
    4. Yes, they will be fine with chickens, but you may want to introduce each other at a young age first.
    5. My one pekin is n excellent layer and lays an egg every single day, even in winter.
    6. What do you mean by pen? A doghouse is great home for two ducks. For a run, they need no les then 10 square feet of space each.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    - Our pond is about 50x50ft and 3 ft deep will they be happy with a pond that size?
    Should be more than fine. Most are happy with a kiddie pool [​IMG]

- Will they fly off for any reason, Because I really don't wanna clip their wings as that is their only line of defense against predators.
    Some breeds fly, some don't. I have ones that don't fly. My neighbors have muscovies which can fly and they stick around and just seem to fly in and out of their pond

- What do I feed them from chicks to adults I did a google search they say layer feed is to high in protein and some people feed just cracked corn but I don't think that's good for them.
    I used Purina Flock raiser for my ducklings until they were about 4 months old and then changed to Purina Layer (and added a dish of oyster shells since I have all girls)

- They will not be living with the chickens but can they free range with them?
    Should be able to, just watch introductions to see that everybody is ok with each other

- We kinda only want ducks as pets and we will eat eggs when they lay though what would be a good breed?
    I love my runners. They are good layers and great comedians. Lots of ducks will work, depends on what you are looking for

- What are some plans for a pen that would only be meant to hold two ducks.
    I have a dog house kit from Lowe's that I use for night time housing for our 3 runners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by