May Hatch-a-long! ~ 6th Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatch-a-long! ~

Today is my target hatch day. Did hear chirps from the incubator late on Cinco de Mayo. Were a few pips this morning and as of an hour ago two hatched, wouldn't you know neither of them were the initial pips, and now have five piped in incubator. Two in the brooder with twenty-two to go and now 3 hours past time of day set three weeks ago....think it's going to be a long night...

I didn't have ANY hatch on cinco de mayo! My first hatch was after midnight. Pretty sure my humidity was too high during incubation. Or it could have been my temperature being low too. I was also hatching very old eggs, up to 14 days old!

Update on my 5 eggs:

Egg #1- Blue Australorp; hatched out, but found dead when I woke up today
Egg #2- Black Australorp; hatched and dong ok but is now lonely, is eating and drinking
Egg #3 and 4- Australorps in the process of hatching
Egg #5- nothing yet

I didn't have ANY hatch on cinco de mayo! My first hatch was after midnight. Pretty sure my humidity was too high during incubation. Or it could have been my temperature being low too. I was also hatching very old eggs, up to 14 days old!

Well, any new chicks are better than nothing, even if they are late to hatch!
big_smile.png

I didn't have any hatch on Cinco de Mayo either. Late that night we started to hear chirping from the incubator and saw that one egg had pipped. Despite all the chirping, we were only able to detect the one pip with a little egg tooth showing.

This morning while I was finishing my late coffee, the chirping suddenly got louder so I checked the incubator. Sure enough, there was a chick! Not the egg I had been watching though. That egg never progressed all day. I have eight eggs of my own I am still waiting on, as the first hatcher was one of my friend's silkies.

A day late is too low of heat. High RH will result in other things like egg yolks still attached and if too high during incubation the air cell isn't large enough for them to breath inside shell after internal pip.

3am here. Chicks still hatching out and chirping loudly enough to wake me....put five more in the brooder just now. Didn't do a head count of total as I thought I'd go back to sleep quickly. Dozen ish chicks out so far.

Wow, that's how much the chicks kept me up through the night. Awoke to put few more in brooder and see I'd never hit submit on the post 3 hours ago.

I had to assist a chick that was zipped completely but the membrane sticking to it. Turned out it had never turned around. Feet were at fat end which makes sense why the membrane was stuck to it all around where with had zipped and broken shell off. With this one we're up to 16 I think and a 17th died soon after putting in brooder. No idea why, hatched well and 10 minutes later was gone. Not sure how today will go, off the 8 left in brooder there is one pip. First pip was 24 hours ago so assume more to come still.

Here's some tired chicks sleeping in a dog pile:

Last edited:
Hatch is over. Total of 18 that hatched survived from 24 fertile eggs. 75% isn't too bad. Not my best or usual high percent but could have been worse. I'll post more pics later. Hope you all had a great hatch.

Looked like 13 points out in the incubator when I got home tonight. Put 24 into lockdown.

Have at least 3 trying to zip. And several more pipped.

If I can I'll post pics tomorrow night when I move them to brooder

Edit. Should be poults not points

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom