May hatch-a-long

Pics
We lost our broody too :( She was a special hen and is still missed. Her loss is what started me incubating.

Back to your question. I've read the best way is to choose from a broody breed (which silkies definitely are) or chicks from broody hen (predisposed to go broody). I've also read that leaving eggs in the nest will trigger a broody hen. Something about the pressure on her chest will release hormones and encourage broodiness.

I went the broody breed and naturally hatched chick route. I've got Marans and Bantam Cochins. Plus 2 Silkie/EE crosses that came from a broody hen. All these birds are still pretty young but I'm hopeful.
sorry to hear about your hen thanks so much for the info im going to have to get some fake eggs

Fake eggs and time. You could put 1-2 fake eggs in every day till you get close to the number you want a hen to sit on. Some people say hens don't count but i think they have an idea of how many they want to sit on. Unfortunatly, I've never had a hen go broody in purpose is usually went i least want then to and then i have to break them. This is the first year i can let them sit if I chose too. By this time next year i should have at least a few in the feed store chicks willing to go broody
thanks for the info

Well we are in the final countdown here. I did my final candle tonight. 2 of the Bresse (one of them being the scotch tape baby) seem to have died in late development :( . I just took them out of their cradles and laid them on the floor of the incubator. I also raised the humidity to 70%. Here is hoping for at least a 50% hatch for the shipped Bresse.:hmm

Captains Log: Day 18
15 shipped Canadian Bresse Eggs viable (1 of those eh?)
11 home grown Bantam Wyandotte GL Eggs still viable
Total 26 eggs still in the running and in lockdown
good luck with your hatch

Day 5-6 I'm really not sure if any are fertile, I don't see any veins.
But this first egg has a darker shell, yet when I shine the torch through it looks lighter inside then the other two eggs with lighter shells, is it possible the ones that look slightly darker inside could be fertile?
And how much longer before I throw them out? I don't want any exploding
IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3825.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG

But this first egg has a darker shell, yet when I shine the torch through it looks lighter inside then the other two eggs with lighter shells, is it possible the ones that look slightly darker inside could be fertile?
View attachment 1357326View attachment 1357327View attachment 1357328

Shoot. Those eggs don't look promising except maybe the last one. The angle of the pictures is too off for a definite answer. Here's a pic of the eggs I'm tracking at day 5 and 6. These were taken with the eggs on their side (and rested) with the light beneath and towards the top.

Screenshot_20180420-131854~2.png Screenshot_20180420-132335~2.png

I'd wait till 10 days. Give them a daily sniff and check for seepage. If they start to stink toss them.

View attachment 1357326View attachment 1357327View attachment 1357328
Wait until day 10 just to be safe. If you don't see anything then do yourself a favor and toss them.

thanks for the info i was wondering about something my three chicks sleep outside but they sleep in a tote on the floor while the big chickens roost the chicks have been sleeping outside for almost two weeks when do i take the tote away so they will learn to rooster they are almost 13 weeks old
I still don't get why the fuss about roosting. My silkies raised with my Guineas before I built them there own coop roost high just like the Guineas. My others huddle in a corner in the coop. Except for being poop on during the night (which doesn't happen too often) I don't see a problem.

Wait until day 10 just to be safe. If you don't see anything then do yourself a favor and toss them.
Shoot. Those eggs don't look promising except maybe the last one. The angle of the pictures is too off for a definite answer. Here's a pic of the eggs I'm tracking at day 5 and 6. These were taken with the eggs on their side (and rested) with the light beneath and towards the top.

View attachment 1357334 View attachment 1357335

I'd wait till 10 days. Give them a daily sniff and check for seepage. If they start to stink toss them.
Thank you both very much. I've only seen the rooster attempting to mate with the hens (he's still learning lol) so I'm probably just being hopeful incubating eggs that aren't fertile haha. I'll give them till day ten though :)

So i got lucky this morning and cuaght my bard rock in the nest. Knowing she sometimes lays thin shells I went down after to check for her egg and got a good one. So a day late for my second start I added an extra egg. Right now I'm just really going this week passes fast so i can check and discard infertile sebright eggs and get a total count on hatchables

Back
Top Bottom