May hatch along :)

I just put 6 buff orpington and 6 gold laced orpington eggs in the incubator today due to hatch may 28th.

Last edited:
The others are doing great! Had a snake get in and eat 1 of my 3 wk old pullets. Not having very good luck the last few days... But the good news is the snake didn't make it out alive lol

This was when they were still in the bator, they're now in the brooder.

The others are doing great! Had a snake get in and eat 1 of my 3 wk old pullets. Not having very good luck the last few days... But the good news is the snake didn't make it out alive lol
sorry to hear, :/

I just put 6 buff orpington and 6 gold laced orpington eggs in the incubator today due to hatch march 28th.
ok and march ahah :lol:

This was when they were still in the bator, they're now in the brooder.
how many is there and what breed are they :)

sorry to hear, :/
ok and march ahah :lol:

how many is there and what breed are they :)

That was actually my first hatch in the middle of April and they're production reds, I had 1 black sex link. This hatch was all reds with 2 black sex links. I only have 1 barred rock hen that was givin to me and was curious about black sex links so I put them in the bator

Has anyone hatched out of cartons instead of laying the eggs on their side? I've had issues with them getting kicked around from the early hatched chicks.

That was actually my first hatch in the middle of April and they're production reds, I had 1 black sex link. This hatch was all reds with 2 black sex links. I only have 1 barred rock hen that was givin to me and was curious about black sex links so I put them in the bator

Theyre very nice, :)

Has anyone hatched out of cartons instead of laying the eggs on their side? I've had issues with them getting kicked around from the early hatched chicks.
i have one time, but u have to take it, on day 18

Thought I'd post an update on my "lot"

The bantam decided to go broody in the nest box which one of my Big Girls likes to use to lay her egg, which initially caused no problems... Big Hen laid her egg on top of bantam, bantam smuggled it into her clutch and I removed it later ;-) Then a week ago things got a bit tricky... bantam decided she wasn't having this great big feathered thing in with her any more and Big Hen was forced into laying in the run. (Other Big Girl was much more sensible and moved her egg laying into the other box!) Not sure if the eggs were trampled or deliberately pecked, but for 2 days the (non fertile) eggs were broken. This seems to have sent BH into a bit of a frenzy and every time bantam left the nest for food/water etc, she made a beeline for the clutch and started pecking at the eggs. One egg was badly damaged before I realised what was happening & I had to throw it (it was developing too :-( ) I then separated the coop so the bantam has the whole of the roosting/nesting side and the Big Girls have the bottom run (it has a fair bit of cover for them) & I put an old, lidded cat litter tray (minus door!) in there for them which they are now using as a nest... yay!

Bantam has been sitting tight on the eggs & all looked good until I came home from work tonight to find her off the eggs. I don't know how long she has been off them, but they felt quite cool :-( I have put her back on, but it remains to be seen if any damage has been done. We are Day 22 & I don't have an incubator so the hen is their only chance of hatching :-(

My first broody has 4 chicks I introduced at Day 26 when her eggs failed to hatch & she refused to leave them (they were all clear at eggtopsy, despite being from a reputable source) She accepted the chicks immediately and they are doing well at 15 days old, but I'm guessing it is not a good idea to try and put the eggs under her if the other bantam persists in leaving the clutch? I would be grateful for any advice as this is my first experience with broody hens and it feels like a very steep learning curve!!

I wouldn't , she wont sit on the eggs if she go shucks , and I have decided I'm going to buy Muscovy eggs and put them under my broody, because I'm not sure if my eggs are fertilized

we have oegb silver duckwings and 1 seramas pipping in the ez bake oven and the broody silkie setting on a clutch of seramas. as soon as the incubator is open i have 18 RBLW, 8 seramas (as of now) and a 12 guinea to set

Back
Top Bottom