May have a broody hen...

cowchipss

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2011
I've been out of town for a week with a good friend checking on my small flock every other day. Tonight, when I checked on my hens, I found all roosting over the nesting boxes except for one who was sleeping/sitting on six eggs. She was sleepily bewildered and stepped out of the box while I gently collected the eggs from beneath her. Just a fun fact for me to know.
lol.png
I live in the city and can't keep a rooster. So, no chicks planned for the near future. But like I said, it was a fun discovery to start 2012. I knew folks on here would understand my giddiness over this newfound behavior.

Happy New Year! It's fun to see you enthusiasm! I'm afraid I have another perspective. Hens laying on infertile eggs will start out being cute then become a problem. I always dread it when one of my hens becomes broody. They stop laying, loose a lot of weight and become touchy and cranky. Be sure you read the threads on this site about getting hens over their broodiness more quickly. Otherwise it goes on and on and on............... Good luck and keep enjoying your new experiences.
frow.gif

I understand that excitement. For me she needs to stay on the nest overnight two nights in a row instead of just one before I give her eggs. I really don't trust those other "Broody Behaviors" that much. I've seen too many exhibit some behaviors but not follow through.

Here is one of those threads about breaking a broody. I prefer the raised wire-bottomed cage myself.

Break a Broody Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186#p2176186

I agree you either need to give her some fertile eggs to hatch or break her. If you want, you could find some fertile eggs locally, but you will hatch out roosters and need a good plan to deal with the chicks, whether male or female.

Good luck and enjoy the New Year!!!!

Quote:
The other option is to get her some fertile eggs to sit on. It can be a wonderful experience to watch a broody hen hatch and raise her chicks!

Thanks everyone for the responses... No worries. She's not in full broody mode. I have such a small flock there are rarely eggs left sitting in the (preferred) nesting box. Since this post, I've only found her on the nest one other time when I got home after dark and collected eggs.

A funny story about the preferred nesting box. I have two nesting boxes for my four hens. Of course, only one is being used. When I got back from vacation, I sat outside, sunned, and enjoyed watching the bird's behaviors. One after the other they did their laying... but since only one nest is being used, all of the others are waiting on it to open up. While one was on the nest the others would come and check to see if the nest was available yet. It reminded me of being on vacation because eight people sharing one bathroom causes similar behaviors.
gig.gif

The other option is to get her some fertile eggs to sit on. It can be a wonderful experience to watch a broody hen hatch and raise her chicks!

I would love to make that happen... one day. I am currently at my maximum chicken capacity since I live in a neighborhood in the city.
he.gif
But one day........
jumpy.gif

Haha - so was I when my hen went broody last summer. But I couldn't stand to see her sitting on the nest in vain in triple digit temps so I did it anyway. I figured the law didn't apply to chicks runnin' with their Mama, since the law pertaining to dogs and cats doesn't apply to pups and kittens under the age of 5 months, (one litter of pups would put most people over legal limits on dogs). Anyway....so she hatched out some chicks and kept them with her for 15 weeks and I figured they didn't count in my numbers because they were still under the direct care of their mother at that point. I did recently have to cull the boys and in the meantime one of my older hens died of an undetermined illness, so my numbers are more or less back where they should be (shhhh).

Haha - so was I when my hen went broody last summer. But I couldn't stand to see her sitting on the nest in vain in triple digit temps so I did it anyway. I figured the law didn't apply to chicks runnin' with their Mama, since the law pertaining to dogs and cats doesn't apply to pups and kittens under the age of 5 months, (one litter of pups would put most people over legal limits on dogs). Anyway....so she hatched out some chicks and kept them with her for 15 weeks and I figured they didn't count in my numbers because they were still under the direct care of their mother at that point. I did recently have to cull the boys and in the meantime one of my older hens died of an undetermined illness, so my numbers are more or less back where they should be (shhhh).

Oh HEChicken, I am trying to be "good" and you aren't helping. Hahaha. We'll see. I'll keep monitoring this broody behavior. So far it seems to be broody-lite. That is a very good point about the chicks not counting though because I remember reading that about litters of cats/dogs. If I do end up hatching some eggs I'll let you know since you are almost a partner in crime at this point.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom