May I???? MIX them

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrackenFarms, Mar 2, 2009.

1. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    i have 11 one week old chicks and i am picking some up tomorrow that will be 3 days old. can i put all of these in the same box without worrying about the one weekers beating up my newbies?????

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I also recently asked this question and I got a lot of different answers. The majority seemed to think that your chicks would do just fine since they are all really young and very close in age. I added one day-old chick to a group of 12 week old chicks and nothing happend.....everyone was fine. Some people suggested that I separate them with some chicken wire, but keep them in the same area so that they could see each other but not "get at each other". I think that is only needed for older flocks. Trust your instincts and keep a close eye on the babies, you will know if you need to separate them if they aren't allowed to get to food or water by the older ones or if they are picked on. I don't think that they start to develop a peck order until about 3-5 weeks. I bet they will be just fine.

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:i wouldnt do it. I have some 2 week olds and just got my chicks from a feed store a couple days ago. I'm worried little guys will get picked on because the older ones are already play fighting. Plus the stress of it may end up killing a few.

But if you must, put them in at night when everyone is sleeping, and wake them up by jostling everything around, so they get scared and all huddle together. That would get them acquainted. [​IMG]
    If they wake up in the morning together, chances are they will get along, but if it doesnt work break them back up.

up to you good luck!

4. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    ive done it....its gonna be picked on for a bit but mine ended up workin it all out within a few days [​IMG]

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    We put in day-old EEs with our two week old flock in the brooder last night. No problems whatsover, it was immediately as if they'd always been there. We were very worried but it turned out fine.

Don't forget to lower the waterer and feeder or provide some kind of steps or ramp.

3 new EEs and 12 of the two-week olds, by the way. Good luck.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have chicks that are 5,4, and 3 weeks old all living together now. I put the new chicks in a clear shoe box size tote with no lid overnight so the other chicks can see them but not peck at them. A few will figure out how to jump in the tote with them but never seem to do any harm. By the next day I just put them in with the rest and all is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by