maybe broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristip, Oct 20, 2011.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Hello!

Well I have a small backyard coop of 10 hens ( no roosters). and one of my youngest hens who just started laying (a Buff Orp) has taken to spending alot of time in the nest box. Now it looks like she gets out to let others lay because even though I have 4 nest boxes, they all prefer 1. But I went in later last night to get eggs when it was dark out and she was back in there. She normally roosts.
    I did notice that she has some poop on her butt feathers and dont know if there is anything related.
    it is also getting cold here so dont want to wet her bottom to cool it off since nights are hitting 30's.

Is this considered broody? I am not home all teh time time to see if she comes out to eat etc.

Any suggestions?

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I don't think this is technically broody. Broodies won't leave the nest box but what is going on for her I can't figure it out.

3. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I had a hen who wanted to be in the box a LOT. I was able to coax her out with treats, and it lasted for about 2 1/2 days before she was done. I think it's broodiness.
    If you don't want her to be broody, there is a lot of advice here for that. My lucky method was to get her out and about outside -- it was a sunny day, and somehow she didn't want sit on the nest anymore. But it's now been a week and a half and she hasn't yet resumed laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by