Maybe get a younger rooster?

Thank you both for your experienced advice.

Happily, and at least so far, my M. Maurice is easy with his hatch mates and the 2 older hens as well. They all live with him equally well. I hope it won't get too ugly until he gets the hang of mating because both my husband and I have gotten really fond of him.

We never meant to have a rooster. I paid for ladies because we live on a 1/2 acre lot. My neighbors -- who have been tolerant so far -- may insist that he go before we ever see 18mo.

I'm just hoping for the best as he is one gorgeous guy and, so far, his temperament is more mellow than any of the girls but I'm seeing signs that the hens are approaching maturity so I may find out what the next chapter holds in store soon. By Spring, for sure.
Once mating starts, things will turn out to be rough. He will be constantly mounting the hens putting them under a great deal of stress. I had a 5 month old cockerel who happened to be very friendly and was a sweet lap bird. Once his hormones kicked in he got away with pecking me on the foot and then gradually he started getting worse such as flying on to my arms and legs viciously attacking me. Kicking an aggressive hen back into the place will usually stop this aggressive behavior but reinforces it in a rooster.

I just lost a 6 month old rooster. He was rough for about a week once he wanted to start showing that he was top dog. Nothing really really rough but some neck grabbing but not feather pulling. Not sure if he understood English but I did tell him to back off alittle or he would see how sharp the axe really is. He did settle down so he stayed. He did also jump at my 3 year old again I warned him. He never did it again. Now he died of something not sure what yet. I am going to be bringing in another young rooster shortly. To me if he gets to wild I'll take care of it.
What worked for me was once I went into the pen and I could see him approach me from behind I would turn to him with my arms wide and keep walking at him until he turned away. No yelling or screaming just turn and walk him down. Only did that a few times with no other issues. After all while we do get roosters for fertile eggs they do also have a job to do in protecting the hens.
I will also add he was an Orpington which i believe is on the calmer side for roosters.

Last edited:
I know alot of people will disagree with me and that is fine they're entitled. You can save headaches by picking your rooster's breed to correlate with what you want from him. I have a faverolles rooster, a breed know to be good with people and excellent with hens and chicks. He only had about a two week span of hormonal craziness. He has never attacked or challenged me, i'm a tiny woman so i'm a good target. He cares for the ladies and tends chicks. I have never had to correct him. I have bred him and hatched his sons, only one was not satisfactory. I would advise doing your research, picking a breed that will likely "nothing is certain" show traits that you desire then getting one as young as possible and raising him in your flock with your older birds. Not an instant rooster, but it will be worth the extra time.:)

I never bring in birds from other flock, because of my biosecurity paranoia. I raise chicks, either from my flock or from a safe source, and raise my own cockerels as replacements. Any signs of human aggression is a first cull point here too.
Raising a nice group of straight run chicks is fun, and makes it easier to choose likely cockerels to keep longer, looking toward one or two 'keepers'.
Cockerels raised with mature hens learn a lot about polite behavior, a very good thing.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom