Maybe too large (egg pic)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JDchicks, Nov 23, 2013.

1. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    I went to collect eggs today and found the below egg (pictured). I put it beside a bill and my hand for size comparison.

This was from my Brahma mixes. I have never had them lay an egg this large.

I am incubating D'uccles and silkies right now, so my husband wants to put this big boy in.

Curious if there is any issues I may run into? Has anyone else had this? What was the results?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If it is a double yolker, it may grow twins but they almost never hatch successfully. Typically, one chick is at the air cell end, and may make it out, but the other suffocates due to lack of an air cell.

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    We got a few whoppers years ago when we had Isa browns and the australorpe. Mostly they turned out to be double yolkers.

While I think there was one thread on here about someone hatching one of those I think (though I'm not sure of the final result) as a rule it doesn't work because there just isn't room in there for two chicks and eggs won't stretch to accomadation them both. So halfway through incubation they die.

Might be more fun to just crack and enjoy your double yolker :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes it is as certain as you can be that without cracking it that it is a double-yolker. You can try candling it to see if you can see two separate yolks but that looks pretty dark. It may be pretty difficult to see inside.

When I incubate eggs, I try to be successful. While it is always possible you might get one or two chicks out of that, it is extremely unlikely.

If you talk to people that hatch eggs professionally, they’ll tell you to not set unusually large or unusually small eggs, even if they have just one yolk. You get better results from normal sized eggs.

Of course that egg is yours. If you wish to try it, what do you have to lose other than the pleasure of eating that egg? But even if it starts to develop, and it probably will, don’t expect to get a living chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by