maybe Vent Gleet???

Feb 29, 2020
HI there

so I have already asked the question about feather pecking and posted a photo of Gerty and her bald bottom on this forum. However, I'm still unsure as to what her problem is. I would appreciate any and all advice to ponder. She is about a year old...very vocal and always the first for everything...a bit of a bully too. But her butt is bald and raw so feather pecking although obvious didn't seem to fit with what I've been reading (I'm a novice). Also her eggs are odd and large and very fragile at one end. She only lays about twice a week now and it seems to take a couple of days to produce the egg.

My flock of 8 hens free range and all look and seem healthy except Gerty's butt. I have treated and retreated for mite, lice. Use DE very liberal even sat Gerty's back end in a bucket of it!! R-ACV in water.

Recently I read a thread on Vet Gleet so turned her upside down and had a look at her raw bottom (now no feathers from tail to chest). I think there was a little white discharge but nothing to notice except up close. I immediately applied anti fungal cream to her skin and vent and added live yogurt to her diet. Today I gave the whole flock they're feed fermented which I plan on continuing.

3D911045-36E2-4887-88C3-A1414498B76B.jpeg
IMG_3515.jpeg
IMG_3657.jpeg
IMG_3726.jpeg

What exactly are you feeding her?
Can you get a float test on her stool?
When did you worm her last?
I had a simular problem with hair loss ect...and took stool to my vet for a float test, and she had worms at various stages. So, everyone got Safe Guard. Now, I'm on the 23day egg withdrawl.
She is a very pretty girl.

What a gorgeous bird! With an uncomfortable looking rear. She looks healthy and strong otherwise, definitely a good sign. I’m sorry to be of no help, I’m quite new at this too, but I’m sending you some good mojo.

Be careful with the DE, both for your sake and the girls’. The individual particles are almost microscopic and sharp as shards of glass. Breathing it can be dangerous. Make sure what you have there is food grade, it will be labeled as such.

Back
Top Bottom