Maybe vent gleet?

Micropreemiemom

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2021
Hi! We finally have our flock! We inherited 8 girls that are about a year old. We’ve had them for 3 weeks. Last week, one girl had a super pasty bum, and we bathed her and trimmed the gross feathers. We treated with garlic in her water and acv. Now another girl is starting with an icky bum. Everyone is acting fine, but clearly something is wrong. Also, we are getting 6 eggs a day, when all 8 were laying. I’m trying to figure out which ones are laying. I know the one who first had issues is laying still. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! We kept chickens 10 years ago and never had any sickness, and now my new girls are unwell in only a few weeks. I’ve included some pics. First two are of the girl that had problems first. Last two are of the girl that started yesterday.

Attachments

• 531DBC8A-D08D-485A-98D0-AC66A38D58E1.jpeg
    531DBC8A-D08D-485A-98D0-AC66A38D58E1.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 54225C98-A062-457D-BCBF-DDF046FB2128.jpeg
    54225C98-A062-457D-BCBF-DDF046FB2128.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 8B4B1D04-9890-4318-9C9C-74658BE38AD9.jpeg
    8B4B1D04-9890-4318-9C9C-74658BE38AD9.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1DE95602-935E-4198-978A-2AEB2DFD3190.jpeg
    1DE95602-935E-4198-978A-2AEB2DFD3190.jpeg
    620.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi! We finally have our flock! We inherited 8 girls that are about a year old. We’ve had them for 3 weeks. Last week, one girl had a super pasty bum, and we bathed her and trimmed the gross feathers. We treated with garlic in her water and acv. Now another girl is starting with an icky bum. Everyone is acting fine, but clearly something is wrong. Also, we are getting 6 eggs a day, when all 8 were laying. I’m trying to figure out which ones are laying. I know the one who first had issues is laying still. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! We kept chickens 10 years ago and never had any sickness, and now my new girls are unwell in only a few weeks. I’ve included some pics. First two are of the girl that had problems first. Last two are of the girl that started yesterday.
Did you check their vent? How does it look? Diarrhea can stick to their feathers easily, which in turn can lead to flystrike. Diarhhea can be caused by a number of things, do you deworm your flock?

Diarrhea seems the likely culprit! I have not dewormed them, but their previous owner did. There are no worms in the poo, but I did change their food. It was a sudden change as we could not get the same food they were previously on. They came from a very confined situation, and are very happy with their freedom now! But I’m wondering why it’s taken 3 weeks for this to show up…

I would keep them clean, and add probiotics to their diet. Some feeds already contain those, but Probios powder, and a few others for pets can be used. Plain Greek yogurt in moderation may also work.

Hens can have messy vents from loose droppings during hot weather when they are drinking a lot of water. I change and clean my waterers each day. What are you feeding? If you are concerned about worms or parasites, your vet may agree to let you bring in some collected droppings in a ziploc bag for a fecal float.

Diarrhea seems the likely culprit! I have not dewormed them, but their previous owner did. There are no worms in the poo, but I did change their food. It was a sudden change as we could not get the same food they were previously on. They came from a very confined situation, and are very happy with their freedom now! But I’m wondering why it’s taken 3 weeks for this to show up…
Not all types of worms show up in the poop. Some show up when its really serious.

Back
Top Bottom