Mayland Family Cited for Pet Chickens and Their Coop

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Marbleheader, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    Interesting debate whether the chickens are livestock (in which case their coop violates county code) or "household pets" (in which case the coop is legal).

Of course, they're both. And, as I read the county law, that makes the chickens and their coop legal. Link*

* Shameful link to my blog

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I hope they get to keep them. Obviously, it isn't their nearest neighbors that have a problem. If you can have rabbit hutches, why not a coop?

3. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    Quote:If you can have a dog house, why not a coop?

Chickens cause fewer problems than dogs do.

4. VA from WV

VA from WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Eastern Pandhandle WV
    Ugh. Kensington. This is the town that banned a bunch of schoolgirls from using a city park during a supervised recess because of 'complaints', which amounted to the City wanting to exort a usage fee from the school.

This doesn't surprise me. Government doesn't want to follow a common sense conflict resolution plan--it much prefers letting passive-aggressive jerks hide behind the code.

*snort*

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Until very recently all chickens have been considered livestock/farm animals. Honestly that's what I consider mine even tho I am very attached to them. They are on the same level as my cattle, not on the same level as my cats and dogs. I do realize some people do consider them the same as another pet tho. I would imagine the thinking against allowing one kind farm animal to become a "household pet" as far as zoning laws applies is that what comes next...someone's pet pig, pony or calf?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, pet pigs became popular years ago--back in the late '80s/early '90s.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:And people were upset when they had to get rid of their pet pigs because they weren't allowed, just like people get upset when they're told they have to get rid of their chickens.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If you have 12 dogs, your a hoarder, so either they are hoarding chickens, or they are livestock. [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, if you have a pond and have 12 goldfish or koi in it, are tehy livestock? How about if you have an aviary of finches or parakeets with 12 birds?

10. PrincessSweetChick

PrincessSweetChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2008
    Clarksburg, MD
    Ah, my old hometown, Kensington . Leave it to them to be really dumb . . . Not too many years ago the Town outlawed Santa Claus. But I am keeping my chickens "stealth" So far so good. 2 years and counting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by