Mayland Family Cited for Pet Chickens and Their Coop

Marbleheader

Songster
13 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Marblehead, MA
Interesting debate whether the chickens are livestock (in which case their coop violates county code) or "household pets" (in which case the coop is legal).

Of course, they're both. And, as I read the county law, that makes the chickens and their coop legal. Link*

* Shameful link to my blog

Ugh. Kensington. This is the town that banned a bunch of schoolgirls from using a city park during a supervised recess because of 'complaints', which amounted to the City wanting to exort a usage fee from the school.

This doesn't surprise me. Government doesn't want to follow a common sense conflict resolution plan--it much prefers letting passive-aggressive jerks hide behind the code.

*snort*

Until very recently all chickens have been considered livestock/farm animals. Honestly that's what I consider mine even tho I am very attached to them. They are on the same level as my cattle, not on the same level as my cats and dogs. I do realize some people do consider them the same as another pet tho. I would imagine the thinking against allowing one kind farm animal to become a "household pet" as far as zoning laws applies is that what comes next...someone's pet pig, pony or calf?

Quote:
And people were upset when they had to get rid of their pet pigs because they weren't allowed, just like people get upset when they're told they have to get rid of their chickens.

If you have 12 dogs, your a hoarder, so either they are hoarding chickens, or they are livestock.
D.gif

Ah, my old hometown, Kensington . Leave it to them to be really dumb . . . Not too many years ago the Town outlawed Santa Claus. But I am keeping my chickens "stealth" So far so good. 2 years and counting.

Back
Top Bottom