Mayonnaise

OK, I have never had a problem making mayonnaise and used to wonder what all the fuss was about. So I'm making mayo for my husband and he tells me he doesn't want lemon juice or mustard powder in it. No biggie. I substituted citric acid at 1/4th amount of lemon juice and leave out the mustard. But then he wants garlic powder in it. So I take this PERFECT mayonnaise and add garlic powder and it turns into a liquid. Not separating, just liquid.

Is there a way to save this?
he.gif

I think what happened is I over-blended. I tried an egg yolk and adding the failed mix, over a bowl of warm water. Nada. Is the stuff that's actually no good for mayo anymore good for anything else?

I ended up making a second batch, adding the garlic powder at the beginning and it worked.

I have no Idea why that happened. I over blended some with olive oil and it became very bitter. I do not understand why that happened either, However, I mixed a little in with the dogs' food each night and they loved it. I would think with the garlic they would really like it.

So I tried my own Mayo, couldn't get it to set/emulsify. It's in the fridge now,. Thought maybe if it was chilled it would set up. Other suggestions? I didn't have lemon juice , used vinegar instead.

The trick is to add it very slowly in just a drizzle.
I got an used salad dressing plastic container with the small hole in the top, then cut a square out of a Ziploc and put it over the top of the container, screwed the lid on top of that, and then got a tooth pick and poked a small hole through the small hole in the squeeze lid.
(This sounds so complicated-I just rigged up a small squeeze bottle)
It helps if someone else drizzles while you whisk, or beat.
It will not set up in the refrigerator, but you can use it to cook with. Stir fry, or anything that the sour from the vinegar won't be alarming in.

Back
Top Bottom