McHenry Co. IL Ordinance Change

obviously new to the conversation but I was wondering if there way any change of the ordinance in McHenry County. I recently moved back to the area , (west side wonder lake) and am looking to buy 2 chicks but don't know where to begin with zoning? Please help with any info.

Hello all,

After a very long wait, the public feedback sessions on the Unified Development Ordinance have finally been scheduled. The language in the current draft will allow SIX hens in unincorporated residential zones!

We need your help to make sure that they don't try to water down the current language, e.g., by reducing the number of hens. Please come out and voice your support for backyard chickens at one of the following meetings:

Wednesday April 2nd at 6pm at Marengo High School Auditorium
Thursday April 3rd at 6pm at McHenry Township Offices in Johnsburg
Friday April 4th at 1:30pm at McHenry County College Scot Room
Monday April 7th at 6pm at Harvard High School Administration Offices

I will be at the Wednesday April 2nd meeting in Marengo - and I will bring free bumper stickers for anyone who wants them. It would be great to have supporters at ALL the meetings, though.

After the public feedback sessions further modifications may be made to the UDO. Then in the autumn the full McHenry County Board will vote on it and hopefully make it law.

This change is occurring because of the groundswell of support from MANY people - one last push and we've really accomplished something. Let's make it happen!

Best,

Anna

P.S. Once that is accomplished we can set our sights on some individual towns :)

-This email pretty much sums up the state of the chicken debate. If you can attend one of the meetings, that'd be great. We'll all just have to keep our eyes on the prize.

-Andrew Skalski

If you go ahead and "google" Mchenry County UDO, the document will come up and you can read it. Or....

14.5.D. Chicken Coops and Chicken Runs (Non-Agriculture Exempt)
14.5.D.1. No person may keep more than six (6) chickens on any property at one time.
14.5.D.2. No commercial activity will result from the keeping of chickens on the property.
14.5.D.3. Roosters are not permitted. However, if the gender of a chick cannot be determined
at hatching, a chick of either gender may be kept on the property for no more than six
(6) months.
14.5.D.4. Chickens shall be kept in coops and fenced runs at all times. Chickens shall be kept
in coops from dusk to dawn.
14.5.D.5. Chicken coops and runs shall meet the following standards:
14.5.D.5.a Chicken coops and runs shall be kept in the effective rear yard and shall be
located at least ten (10) feet from any lot line and ten (10) feet from any other
structure.
14.5.D.5.b. The facility shall be kept in good repair, maintained in a clean and sanitary
condition, and free of vermin, obnoxious smells, and substances. The facility
shall not create a nuisance or disturb neighboring residents due to noise, odor,
damage, or threats to public health.
14.5.D.5.c. The chicken coop and run shall be designed to ensure the health and well
being of the animal is not endangered by the manner of keeping or
confinement.
14.5.D.5.d. The chicken coop and run shall be adequately lighted and ventilated.
14.5.D.6. No storage of chicken manure is permitted within twenty (20) feet of the lot line.
14.5.D.7. Slaughtering of chickens on-site is prohibited.

This final draft of the ordinance change will be voted on August 5, 2014. The only changes to it should be punctuation and grammar corrections.

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I think we're golden. This should pass without any issues.

So, gentlemen/ladies...........Start building your coops!!!!!!!!!!!

From our Friend Anna-

As of next Wednesday unincorporated McHenry County CAN have backyard hens.

Congratulations to the many people who have supported this effort over the past 3+ years. Patience and persistence win in the end. Well done!

Article below does not specifically mention byc - but the UDO does :)

Anna

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2014/10/15/mchenry-county-board-approves-unified-development-ordinance-in-16-2-vote/aw17to/

I'd like to echo Anna in her appreciation of everyone's effort. Its been a long road these few years. A lot of attending meetings, reading meeting transcripts, etc. Please spread the word and
GET SOME CHICKENS!!!!!!!

-Andy

14.5.D.5.a Chicken coops and runs shall be kept in the effective rear yard and shall be
located at least ten (10) feet from any lot line and ten (10) feet from any other
structure.

I have a small yard. If I put it at the back of the yard it will be at the lot line. I wanted to put it against the back of my house. Not touching but like half a foot away. I have another spot at the side of the house that might work. It wont be 10 ft from the next lot but the nxt lot is just bushes and trees. I dont want to go through everything than bam! Not allowed lol

Hi Anna,

I have a plethora of resources that could help you. I recently had worked with the town to change our law here and we were successful!
It is too much to post so feel free to email me, above all you will want to be very prepared coming into this as you will get a lot of opposition.

Best!!

Laura

[email protected]

The McHenry County UDO has just been updated allowing backyard chickens, similar in Nature to the Lake County Ordinance. I'm a Trustee in Cary and we have drafted an Ordinance and will be hosting a Public Forum soon and sure would be nice if we could pack the room with progressive minded people to show support.

There is some opposition and I am trying to ensure that we have good speakers and advocates to present at the Forum so that we have the best possible chance to succeed at informing the rest of the Trustees to come over to our way of thinking.

We conducted an online survey and got 52% against and 48% in favor, one trustee said that due to the overwhelming negative response we should dump the idea, but that motion died for lack of a second so we are moving forward with the Forum night

I will update you all on the date and time of the Forum at Village Hall in Cary, in the meantime if you are an credentialed "Expert" I'd like to hear from you, Also if you have some good short reading material that I can send my fellow Trustees before the Forum to help them get over their fears and to let them dismiss the lies and half-truths that have been coming out on this subject I'd appreciate it.

regards,
Dave Chapman
Village of Cary Trustee

Has anyone in unincorporated McHenry County gotten chickens yet? I checked with Planning & Development, just to make sure, and it is in effect that you can have up to six hens. I wonder how chicken tractors would factor into the property line issue, for people like RosesB. Seems like if you have the space to keep a chicken tractor 10 feet away from structures and property lines, maybe you could sometimes keep them closer?

Back
Top Bottom