McHenry Co. IL Ordinance Change

Speaking of "has anyone gotten chickens yet," I am interested in getting six black australorps. The places I've looked online require a minimum order of anywhere between 10-25. Obviously we can only get six. Is there anyone that would like to split an order with me and/or any other interested parties?

I might be interested, what is your timeline? I still have some work to do before I'm ready. Are you talking about eggs or birds, and what is the cost? They look like a great breed for our area!

Has anyone built a coop yet? I was building one in my driveway and a car that said "Mchenry county Planning and Development" drove by. Being kind of worried i called the planning dept and the lady said i need a permit to build a coop and run. Anyone else with a similar issue?

I just got back from the permit office and I was told I do not need a permit so long as I follow the set back rules in the UDO. Anyone interested in some organic feed? I could only find it in 50 lb bags and that's twice what I need. Bag was $28. I'll split it with you.

I just got off the phone with Kim from planning. She said you DO NOT need a permit if the coop is smaller than 8'x8'x8', but you DO need to follow the setback requirements. You DO need a permit if the coop is larger than that. The permit fee is the standard plan review fee of $150.00. You would also need a couple of inspections along the way. :(

So I just left the Mchenry county planning and development office. Here's the scoop...The coop needs to be under 64 square feet. For example, they told me it had to be 8x8x8 or less. I questioned their logic and the thought behind this as 8x8x8 = 64 square feet and my coop will be 5x10x7 which is only 50 square feet. They told me that as long as I stay under the 64 square feet AND stay under the 8 ft height restriction, I DID NOT need a permit. I do however have to be 10' from the lot lines, 10' from the septic lines, and 5' from the septic tank. Good news, on with construction!

Hi all,
I've been following tis thread for the awhile and was very happy when the UDO was finally voted on and changed to allow hens. I am in unincorporated Crystal Lake and working on my coop but my brooder box is ready. I would love to connect with more "chicken people" in my area since I am new to chickens and learning as I go. Do any of you know of any groups or threads on here I should follow to learn more or meet oThera in our area?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom