McMurray Free "rare" Chick...

Shea

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
SW Iowa
Got my chicks today. One of my barred rocks died.
sad.png
But they threw in an extra leghorn. But my free "rare" chick I'm not sure of. Looks like a red cochin type...but do they give those as "rare"? Any help please?

CHICKEN.jpg

Thanks. Always sad when a chick comes that didnt make it.

I figured red cochin...but just didnt think they were rare...

Last edited:
yeah i'd go with red cochin. McMurray just throws in a random chick as a "rare" chick, I got a White Crested Black Polish as mine. The "rare" chicks don't come from the rare category, just any chick they happen to grab. If you would end up getting a breed from the rare category then your lucky. it's a cutie though!

!Shkittles!

ETA: this is what McMurray's website says about the free "rare" chicks........

A real thrill and surprise is in store for you with one of our Free Rare Chicks. Crested varieties, speckled beauties, blue chicks, huge giants, feather-legged exotics, spangled and belted Old World fowl are just some of the different varieties we have to choose from in this offer. You will be amazed and delighted with one of these wonderful chicks. Our choice as to the breed and sex of the free rare chick.

yours fits under the feather-legged "exotics", mine the crested.

Last edited by a moderator:
My "rare" chick was either a light brahma or a dark cornish- only got one of each. I don't know where they got the definition of rare either. Congrats on the little red head- he/she looks like a "Murphy".
bun.gif

I got Salmon Favarolles for both of my rare chicks! I was pleased, but I would sat this a cochin, usually tho, the Reds have a lighter color head? But who knows....

Heres hoping its a hen! Its cute regardless!

Quote:
White leghorn. I ordered 3. And they put 4 in there. On the packing list they sent with the chicks it had the free rare chick listed = FREE. Then the 3 leghorns I orderd = $however much it was. Under that they listed 1 white leghorn pullet = FREE. So I actually got 2 free. The rare one. And the extra leghorn.

This little red guy/girl is the free rare one I'm sure. I didn't order any like this. I ordered a few red stars, but this is not one. I also ordered a couple frizzle. But not red. So I guess the "feather footed" makes it rare. lol

Packing list...... That would have been good. I would love to have one of those.

Anybody else have a McMurray free rare that they got very recently. I can't really ID any of mine as "The one"

I wish I could. No fuzzy legs, so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom