McMurray Hatchery and others

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Angel_Feather, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Angel_Feather

Angel_Feather Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2009
    Dawsonville, GA
    I have kept McMurray Hatchery a loved hatchery. Every time we order, the chicks are healthy, loving, fuzzy, and adorable! Once we decided to take a peek at the other online hatchery, "Cackle Hatchery". When they came in the mail, several were dead, sick, and quite a few had broken legs and one had a twisted jaw. We decided to stick with McMurray Hatchery from then on. Occasionally we would buy some chicks from Brooksher's Feed Supply so we had a guarantee they would be healthy. We would bend down near a tub of chicks, then pick them up and choose which ones we wanted. Local hatcheries and McMurray's hatchery are probably my favorite. Do you agree, too?

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  3. MtnAngel

MtnAngel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Hey Angel,
    I buy at Brookshers also... They are so nice in There!
    Have to go buy more fencing in a couple weeks!
    I will have to ask if they can special order some Silver laced Wyandottes

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I love my Local feed store.......they always have such nice babies (not sure where they order their's from though)

I never lost a chick....

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Personally, I don't agree - As with my local neighbors in WA; Our Murray McMurray batches always come seeming healthy, but within days, they will die off like some plague hit them. I don't know what it is, but I have heard plenty of stories of that hatchery catching diseases that go around their stock. All I know is - Out of four different families I have talked to or known, including my own, we have all bought a batch, lost far over half of it, then tried with a second batch and lost half or less than half of it. Most of them die with no known symptoms, but the latter ones start to display very similar symptoms - probably a bacterial thing going around. So from now on, I'm just going to stick with the survivors for now and, next spring, I will most definitely buy from quality breeders!

In response to PandoraTaylor - I agree. The one time I bought from a feedstore, someone had straightrun ducklings there, which honestly I could trust less than a large-producing, well known hatchery - but all five we bought grew up healthy and happy. (even though only one ended up being a female)

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Well, as a counterpoint to above, I have not lost one of my McMurray birds to disease. [​IMG] Not a single one.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Last year I had 11 of the 26 die within 3 days. (McMurray)

I think next time, if my own don't hatch, I'll try Ideal or Cackle.

8. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I've ordered from McMurray in the past.
    All my chicks were healthy upon arrival and grew up to be very healthy, hardy adults.

9. As a Missourian, I HAVE TO DISAGREE !! Cackle hatchery has been nothing but wonderful. The local feed stores OFTEN buy from them.

I have ordered a few different types of birds INCLUDING some of my Guinea Keets and they are healthy, normal and lively chicks and keets.

They are very nice to speak with and very concerned about their birds.

They have been in business for YEARS and they know what they are doing.

NOW, if you order from a long distance I would presume that the SHIPPING part of your order was in fault.

I would order from Cackle ANYTIME.

10. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

my recent order was 25 brown egg layers and 5 baby chicks from that batch died.
    then I ordered 25 heavy breeds for meat and only 2 of those died. I felt bad but they had shipped 27 so I was still left with the 25 I had ordered.

Last year I ordered all RIR from them and one died and another died later she had a twisted neck. Those all burned with the california fires.

But McMurray has always been a good place for me to order even though they are super far from southern california.

I have not tried the other hatcheries even locals because I tend to avoid change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by