McMurray order of Red Stars and Whiting True Blues

Yes, I HOPE to have a colorful basket! Had to put my SBEL's out a little prematurely. It "feels like 20" here according to weather news, and they have no heat in their totally enclosed coop. There's a total of 13 chicks (not all SBEL's) in the coop. Half are 4 weeks old and the other half are 3 weeks old. Don't have an ideal place to put them back inside house as I think the ones inside are only 2 weeks old. The outside ones seem significantly larger and I don't want anyone getting squished. I did put a big juice bottle filled with hot water right in their "den" area. They huddle, they go out around in the coop and wander, most of them puffed. Have some SLO's in there too, but I'm thinking of putting them all in the tub for a day LOL. Supposed to get down to 17 tomorrow night!! Eeeks

I can relate. The first night I had them in the coop I did not sleep at all!! I just knew they would all be dead when I went out in the morning. LOL they did fine though. It got down to 17 a few nights later but I didn't know it until morning. I did have a heat lamp in there for them but they didn't seem to care.
idunno.gif
Here's a photo of how I had my coop sectioned off for the kindergarten pen so they could see each other but not kill each other.

I think that heat lamp helps some....just having the light in there. I ended up bringing mine inside LOL. For one thing, I invested bigger $'s for my SLO's, and would hate to lose them, because I didn't make more effort. I think 1 more week, and they'll be out for good. They have feathered in a lot. The SBEL seem to be doing the best as well as my EE's.

I like how you sectioned your coop off. That's a good idea. That coop looks pretty big to me on the inside. About how many square feet? Are those Isa Browns in there, too?

I think that heat lamp helps some....just having the light in there. I ended up bringing mine inside LOL. For one thing, I invested bigger $'s for my SLO's, and would hate to lose them, because I didn't make more effort. I think 1 more week, and they'll be out for good. They have feathered in a lot. The SBEL seem to be doing the best as well as my EE's.

I like how you sectioned your coop off. That's a good idea. That coop looks pretty big to me on the inside. About how many square feet? Are those Isa Browns in there, too?
I think Isa Brown is the same as Red Stars I think. Those are Red Stars from McMurray.

The coop is 10x16 in the coop area with a 10x4 storage room. Here's our coop page describing more detail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/alaskan-chicken-coop-24x10

I just looked now its back to all males again, changed from a few days ago. I had been thinking of adding to my order but changed my mind. I have enough babies to raise right now:) Actually I was just counting I only have 16 adult hens, but the babies are countless right now lol

Back
Top Bottom